What happened to my water?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
We just had a massive rain that added about 4" of water to the pool. I drained it about 7" and then refilled a couple inches. Everything seemed fine. I then left town for a week and came back to super cloudy water.

The salt meter on my automation equipment says that my salt is low and isn't operating. Salt was at 3200 before I left town. The small drain and refill shouldn't have dropped it that much. I have salt test strips, but I don't trust them at all. The readings aren't consistent.

FC was at 0 yesterday, so I added a bottle of bleach and kept the pump running. After a few hours, FC was back at 0. I did that again, same thing. Something is consuming chlorine in huge quantities.

CYA has dropped from 70-ish to about 25.

Measured pH this morning - see below. It's a ruby red color. Doesn't match the colors at all. FC is still at 0.

IMG_1568.jpeg

When this happened last time, someone suggested that the wind might have blown in bacteria that overwhelmed the FC and ate the CYA, which would create ammonia. I have ammonia strips that aren't registering anything. The cure last time was about 6 bottles of bleach - I'm about to make a Home Depot run.

So......any ideas? This is the third time I've had this happen in this house and it's really annoying.

Do a FAS-DPD test. If your FC is very high it can bleach out the OTO. With that pH test, I suspect super high FC.

That's what algae looks like in the beginning. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm.
I can't get FC to register at all. When this has happened to me before (third time now), I've had to add 6 bottles of bleach before FC would register. This is why I suspected ammonia, but my ammonia strips aren't registering anything either. Perhaps the answer is that my ammonia test strips are bad - they're a couple years old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.