What do I do now...order of chemicals

Add chlorine and acid 15 minutes a part.

BTW, your CYA is 60. If the dot disappears between 60 and 50 we round up and call it 60. You cannot eyeball vallues in between the lines since the scale is logarithmic, not linear.

Reactions: timmco
Hey Timm !!

CH is great for plaster
TA will come down on its own when you :
PH - lower to 7.2 with MA and aerate back up. (Might need a 2nd cycle)

FC. Raise with plain Jane bleach.
CYA rounds up to 60 which is a bit high for a liquid chlorine pool. In TX you will probably want it to be 40 once the season ramps up. You can drain about 20% now and let the springtime rain handle the rest, or just maintain a higher FC based on the FC/CYA Levels

If you choose to drain, the fill water will change things slightly so be prepared to adjust again after.

Add chlorine and acid 15 minutes a part.

BTW, your CYA is 60. If the dot disappears between 60 and 50 we round up and call it 60. You cannot eyeball vallues in between the lines since the scale is logarithmic, not linear.
Should I not add anything for the alkalinity?

How do I aerate
Hey Timm !!

CH is great for plaster

CYA rounds up to 60 which is a bit high for a liquid chlorine pool. In TX you will probably want it to be 40 once the season ramps up. You can drain about 20% now and let the springtime rain handle the rest, or just maintain a higher FC based on the FC/CYA Levels

If you choose to drain, the fill water will change things slightly so be prepared to adjust again after.

Hey Timm !!

CH is great for plaster

How do I aerate a pool??

Should I not add anything for the alkalinity?
Lowering the ph and then letting the ph drift back up will lower the TA a little each time. The return jets will make turbulence in the water (aeration) and it’s a natural process. Wind and raindrops can help some too and also kids splashing if it’s warm enough.

When it reaches the high 7s, Hit it back down to 7.2. It takes some time to come back up so don’t worry, there’s no rush.

No, your TA is ok. It will come down over time as you lower your pH.

Thank you!
Should I re test after adding chlorine and MA?
Also, should I put chlorine in everyday? If so, how do I find out how much to "maintain" the numbers? OR do I just put chemicals in once a week or so?

You would test for chlorine every day until it stabilizes and at that point you'll know what it needs on a steady basis then test every other day. Same goes for the MA until it settles down and then it'll have its own habit of what it needs. Just be aware on heavy bather load days it'll consume more then normal. When you need to know come back and ask for guidance.

Reactions: timmco

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
15-20 minutes is good.

Also both MA and Chlorine are heavier than water and may settle on the bottom. Always brush the general area a few times after adding either to be sure neither sits on your plaster.

Thank you!
Should I re test after adding chlorine and MA?

If you want to verify your doses you can retest after 30 minutes to an hour. Otherwise retest daily as you learn about your pool.

Also, should I put chlorine in everyday?

Yes.

If so, how do I find out how much to "maintain" the numbers?

Recommended Levels

PoolMath
OR do I just put chemicals in once a week or so?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.