What did you do to your pool today?

watch my dog use the cover as a trampoline.
boston terrier GIF

Today I confirmed my FC is, um, 'above minimum'.

20240419_151621.jpg

The SWG turned on surprisingly quick with cool water after opening, but wasn't producing much. I was about to OCLT (never ask if you should when you question algae, just do) but then I realized the pool held 6.5 FC for the 2 days before the cell turned on, so I had already passed 2 OCLTs and 2 DCLTs. :ROFLMAO:

It danced between 6.5 and 8.5 FC for two weeks at 40% runtime and yesterday and today I picked up 2ppm each so the cell is working better with warmer water. I turned it down to 20% and it'll probably do fine for some weeks there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soft Opened. FC = 2.5. Nice.

Took all of 34.5 minutes to remove return tubes, noodles and gizmos in skimmers, put in weir doors, lube and replace all the o-rings with new (filter, pump x3), put in SWCG. As always Magic Lube II. Pump prime, air out of filter. Done.

No CYA, added 2lbs, will add another 2, then another 2, then another 2 as each skimmer basket (hairnets) with 1lb each is dissolved.

Will remove mesh cover in 3-4 weeks, after the Oak catkin onslaught. Dolphin x10 = leaves, dirt and mega amounts of worms. I'll keep running dolphin over the next couple weeks until clear. Dolphin makes it easy.

Easy Peazy, Lemon Squeazy. TFP for the win!

I overshot my FC by a bit. Today's test shows 13.5 ppm. Five days ago, it hit 1 ppm. I had not yet increased the SWG output from the fall. It was set at 15%. I added a gallon of bleach and tested at 7.5 ppm. At the same time I increased the SWG to 45% which adds 2.8 ppm per day. Time to lower the SWG down to 30% and see what happens.

I'm also sneaking up on my CYA target of 70. I always add less than what PoolMath says since I'd rather do several additions than overshoot. I've gone from 30 to 50 to 60. I'll add another pound.

Last edited:
Had a tough decision today. 20% on the SWG was too little but 40% was too much. Decisions decisions.

Nah just foolin. It was a very easy decision. When I test in a few days I'll be all like

View attachment 567311

I hate this time of year when the weather is changing a lot from week to week. I have to keep close watch on the FC. Once mid June rolls around, generally don't have to adjust anything to mid-September. This is only my second spring with this pool so I'm still learning what adjustments to the SWG need to be made. Different brand and different sun exposure. On my last pool, after 16 years, I knew what adjustments were needed at what time of year.

Reactions: Newdude
On my last pool, after 16 years, I knew what adjustments were needed at what time of year.
Amen to that !! It was second nature at the old place.... open, 2 weeks 4 weeks 6 weeks 4 weeks 2 weeks close.

At the new place with full sun I get the 12 week summer stretch on full production. The extended season is 'figure it out on the fly' :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JamesW
Walked out and noted that the rain we got today added probably an inch an a half or more of water! Tuesday, without realizing the rain was in the forecast, I topped it up because the skimmer was drawing air. Now it is very full! PoolMath needs a way to account for this kind of thing.

Reactions: Newdude
Yahoo! SWCG had zero scale and is dialed in at 12% with water at 63F for FC=8. Jumped in ... well ... eased in with the fine net to skim a good wad of yew pollen off the top. Wife and I have been taking near-daily dips since late March. Brisk. Next up, spring filter cleaning.

Walked out and noted that the rain we got today added probably an inch an a half or more of water! Tuesday, without realizing the rain was in the forecast, I topped it up because the skimmer was drawing air. Now it is very full! PoolMath needs a way to account for this kind of thing.
You need to figure out how many gallons are in each inch- that’s a little easier to do in a pool that’s all the same depth though. Shouldn’t mess up any numbers really though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support