What did you do to your pool today?

You need to figure out how many gallons are in each inch- that’s a little easier to do in a pool that’s all the same depth though. Shouldn’t mess up any numbers really though.
Variable depth doesn’t matter unless you’re falling below the point at which depths change (which you generally shouldn’t).

By my math, my pool loses 403 gallons per inch until it reaches the variable depth. It is 18x36. My math is 18x36x1 which is equal to 648 cubic feet at the static depth. Multiplying by 7.47 gets us to 4,841 gallons at a depth of a foot from the water line. Divide that by 12 and we arrive at 403 gallons per inch of evaporation.

For a standard shape it isn’t really an issue. If you’re freeform it can get complicated.

Variable depth doesn’t matter unless you’re falling below the point at which depths change (which you generally shouldn’t).

By my math, my pool loses 403 gallons per inch until it reaches the variable depth. It is 18x36. My math is 18x36x1 which is equal to 648 cubic feet at the static depth. Multiplying by 7.47 gets us to 4,841 gallons at a depth of a foot from the water line. Divide that by 12 and we arrive at 403 gallons per inch of evaporation.

For a standard shape it isn’t really an issue. If you’re freeform it can get complicated.
Mine is super easy - just a giant cylinder 🤣

Reactions: JamesW
Well, I suppose I added between 700 and 800 gallons via rain yesterday (I don't know the exact rain measurement so I estimated that). I used this calculator which easily lets you mix feet (size of pool) and inches (amount of rain).

I guess since that is only roughly 2.5 percent of the total volume, I probably don't need to worry that much about it. I'll just do a full suite of tests over the weekend if I decide I'm really concerned or interested.

Yahoo! SWCG had zero scale and is dialed in at 12% with water at 63F for FC=8. Jumped in ... well ... eased in with the fine net to skim a good wad of yew pollen off the top. Wife and I have been taking near-daily dips since late March. Brisk. Next up, spring filter cleaning.
Yeow!!. My pool is at 78 and just told my sister in law who was visiting that it needs a couple more degrees before I jump in. Although the grandkids jumped in at Easter when it was in low 70s.

Reactions: generessler
Had a tough decision today. 20% on the SWG was too little but 40% was too much. Decisions decisions.

Nah just foolin. It was a very easy decision. When I test in a few days I'll be all like

View attachment 567311
I'm hot at 14.5 already and have to turn my SWG down to 5% so I lose 0.5ppm a day right now.

I overshot my FC by a bit. Today's test shows 13.5 ppm. Five days ago, it hit 1 ppm. I had not yet increased the SWG output from the fall. It was set at 15%. I added a gallon of bleach and tested at 7.5 ppm. At the same time I increased the SWG to 45% which adds 2.8 ppm per day. Time to lower the SWG down to 30% and see what happens.

I'm also sneaking up on my CYA target of 70. I always add less than what PoolMath says since I'd rather do several additions than overshoot. I've gone from 30 to 50 to 60. I'll add another pound.
This is my story! I’ve been gradually adding CYA so I don’t overshoot, and neglected to dial the SWG down. Today am at CYA 60 and 13.5 FC. I’m going to hold here with CYA for a couple of days and test again before I add any more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I replaced the spider gasket on the Pentair Multiport Valve. I saw the leak flowing to the drain line. I tried the recirculate position as well and still leaked so had add some LC, let mix and shut off the pump. Took about an hour to clean out the old spider gasket but got it all cleaned. A new spider gasket was $55 - yeow!. Tried to replace the top oring as well but no pool store near me had it so I reused the old one. Lubed everything really well and all back together - no leaks and functioning SWCG again.

Did you glue the spider gasket? I know some people do and some don't. I don't and I've never had a leak after replacement.
I did not - just lubricated it really well. I think the existing one may have had spot adhesive applied because it came out relatively easy, but several spots were more difficult. I talked to 2 different techs at pool store where I purchased the new spider gasket that have done this many times and they both stated just lube it and ensure it is pushed into place really well.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Worked on some electrical stuff.

Last year, things like the Christmas light, our cooler fridge, a blender and other stuff had to be plugged in via extension cords strung all over. No good.

So I started working on running wiring for a couple outlets for stuff like blenders and the fridge, plus a flood light for lighting the whole pool area brightly if/when needed and another switched outlet mounted up high to plug in hanging Christmas lights or cafe-style lights or whatever. (Don't worry, I won't hang them over the water.) While I'm at it, I'll also put in an outlet for use in the yard if needed.

Went to open April 15th Broke a drain plug on my pump so had to get new plugs
week later...
Noticed I needed more de, so off to store
Get plugs in, fired up pump, notice big leak, somehow water was left in my heater bypass valves, both cracked, ordered new ones.
Cut out valves, installed new pvc, (left heater off line) fired up pump.....
Leak at my filter, 1/2 by 1/4 adapter for gauge is leaking, guess I tightened gauge to much but was fine last year.
Order new one, will be here when valves arrive so temp plumbing was wasted.
Get ideal to put 1 1/2 plug in filter, go to garage to get part, find 25lbs of de that I bought in the fall so now have 50lbs of de.
Tried plug, did not work has a slight leek
Now on stand by till all the parts get in
Adding chlorine and running robot
Water up to 64 so should be ok for a week

Reactions: Mdragger88
Had our first swim yesterday. 91 degrees then it dropped to 59 this morning. Turned heater on at 7am and by 3pm it was 88 degrees (teen approved, the daughter has anemia and she likes it warm). The Mrs and I went to the jersery shore in the morning had a picnic lunch (caught a little sunburn) and then came home for the swim with the kids. A great day!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support