What did you do to your pool today?

Wicked thunderstorms came through this week, so I took the canvas canopy off the steel frame gazebo. Last night, I drained about 3 inches and now that TS Elsa is passing, I'll drain another 3 inches.

I'll do a round of tests and add CYA, but I'll probably hold off on putting the robot in until at least Sunday. We are going out of town for the weekend and I don't want it to be plugged in for that long totally unattended. I'll just pull the big stuff out with the skimmer.

Didn't really do this today, started it just this past Tuesday, mostly complete as of 9pm last night...I've never built a deck before, and there's still some work to be done (and yes I know the short step at the top is technically a trip hazard but I am the clumsiest person I know and haven't tripped yet, and my wife has been up and down them several times and she hasn't noticed it either...I may redo them next summer when I resurface the older section of the deck but we'll see...)

The only bit of work left to do is install the ladder, which I'm waiting on some parts for...so that will happen late next week when they get delivered....

How it started:

deck0.jpg

Realizing that wasn't the most intelligent idea I've ever had, I decided to do this:

deck1.jpg

Note the facia is *not* resting on the edge of the pool....it just looks that way from this angle....

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

deck4.jpg

deck5.jpg

Five days to do that bit of work, solo, and like I said, I've never built any kind of deck before so it was a learning experience. It's solid and extremely stable...

Reactions: Newdude and Snoobug
Just moved in to new digs in Florida. Not sure how they were taking care of the pool but in first month it's taken 160 lbs of salt, almost 7 lbs of stabilizer and a gallon of acid to get the levels where they should be. This is my first concrete swimming hole so also had to use 19 lbs of calcium to get that level up where it should be. considering it's only 12K gallons that just seems like a lot of everything being out of whack. I think the seller kind of gave up caring. I miss my big old vinyl monster back in WI. :cry:

Still trying to figure out the valves. Haven't played with them as for now I have so much more around the house to work on.
Anyway, today I replaced the old translucent filter pressure gauge with a nice shinny new glycerin filled one.

Pool and Spa.jpg210807 Filter Pressure Gauge Old.jpg210807 Filter Pressure Gauge New.jpg

We sold our house a few months ago and are in the final stages of new house/pool design. So today we went to the paver stores to look at pool deck options... nowhere near like having our new pool but keeps us feeling like we'll have our pool again some day. We really do miss the pool a LOT!!

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took out ladder and steps.
Put on leaf cover as they are starting to turn here.
Water in low 70's so will not be closing for another 3-4 weeks
Ran robot

Worked on bid packages for my house shell contractors. The sooner I can get the house going the sooner I'll be able to focus on pool detailed design and construction.

Reactions: Newdude
Retrieved the solar cover from the storage unit. Water was 79F this morning. Cover should extend the season through November with a little heating near the end.

Heated the pool to 86. Air temps were mid 90's today after a week of 70's and 80's. Figured there was only a couple more weeks where the air temps may be good enough to swim still.

Deflated all of the pool floats, drained and removed the ledge loungers, drained the basketball goal base, and got all of that put away in the locker for the winter. 😔 Probably mid to late October, I will blow down my water features for the winter.

Float locker.JPG

I will still jump in if I work up a sweat while outside though. I mean, I did build it for that reason.

--Jeff

Reactions: HermanTX
Retrieved the solar cover from the storage unit. Water was 79F this morning. Cover should extend the season through November with a little heating near the end.

Did that last week. It's helping already (with a little assistance from the heat pump.)

Water was 81F at the end of the day yesterday and 80F this morning. It is 83F now, so it looks like a 2 degree gain. I need to check my FC and pH tomorrow morning to see if the cover is reducing FC loss.

Heated the pool to 86. Air temps were mid 90's today after a week of 70's and 80's. Figured there was only a couple more weeks where the air temps may be good enough to swim still.

Deflated all of the pool floats, drained and removed the ledge loungers, drained the basketball goal base, and got all of that put away in the locker for the winter. 😔 Probably mid to late October, I will blow down my water features for the winter.

View attachment 374344

I will still jump in if I work up a sweat while outside though. I mean, I did build it for that reason.

--Jeff
Do u leave the robot in there all winter?

Do u leave the robot in there all winter?
Most likely. I got the robot this spring so this is the first winter with it. I don't close my pool so I will likely continue to use it throughout. I typically run it only when I'm home because I don't like leaving it in the pool, mostly because I don't like the way it looks. So I run it Saturday and Sunday mornings, when I am up and drinking my coffee, before the rest of the house comes to life. Usually it is done by 9am and put away.

--Jeff

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support