What did you do to your pool today?

It was finally warm enough to work on the pool. I took the winter cover off, hosed it off let it dry and put it away. I scrubbed the outside walls and top with bleach, also got rid of all the weeds around it. Thankfully, I don't have a green swamp this year because I made sure I did things properly. Don't have any help to put my new filter and pump together. Too heavy to lift.

My pool pump died about 2 weeks ago. We finally got a new one ordered but it won't be here until next week. Thanks to TFP and lots of elbow grease sweeping and manually stirring in chlorine my water is still blue and algae free ?. The water is getting kinda gross with all the dirt, leaves, and tree droppings floating around, but that's to be expected with no filtering. Can't wait for my new pump to come ? ?. Oh and apparently a pair of ducks ? found our pool ?? so there's duck poop in there too ?

Reactions: kimkats
I don’t have before pics, but my FIL and I chopped down the limbs from my neighbor’s tree that hang over into my property and mostly over my pool. This Dang tree would DUMP seed pods and leaves all season long.

All it took for me to be in poolside bliss was a $51 gas powered pole saw rental from Home Depot.

Attachments

• 296A180F-9605-45C2-A02D-1E6B984497B3.jpeg
    296A180F-9605-45C2-A02D-1E6B984497B3.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DDD9EBD8-2D0E-45DD-AD55-2F13FD13C842.jpeg
    DDD9EBD8-2D0E-45DD-AD55-2F13FD13C842.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
Spent all day in the yard weed whacking and mowing. My reward was a pleasant swim in the 85 degree pool vacuuming up the bottom and getting the pool up to it's spotless expectations.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190602_152253-01-02.jpeg
    MVIMG_20190602_152253-01-02.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Got the legs leveled front to back and side to side, got the Confer 7200 ladder built and in the pool, and started filling it! Got the pump unpacked and set up, now I have to figure how to insert my plunge valves into the runs.

I have to say, that ladder is NOT the most stable ladder in the world! Gonna build the crappy little ladder that came with the pool and see if it's steadier. If not, Mike will build me some steps for going in and out, and I'll sell the Confer ladder.

My pool is almost a reality!

Today did a small repair on the cover ropes - we had a broken rope stop and I finally got some replacements from Cover-Pool.

Here is a before photo:

There is a small tapered nylon sleeve that fits over an aluminum clamp (think Chinese finger trap). One of ours broke which causes the cover to open too far and bang against the coping vault cover area and then the cover bar is crooked.

I had to take the rope off the pulley and thought it was spliced together (by the original installer) based on the coiled rope and duct tape you can see in the picture. Once I took this apart it was just a small section of rope wrapped around the main line - for what purpose I don't know. I tried it without the extra little piece of the rope and it seems to still work...

I have a feeling it was to shorten the rope a tiny bit possibly? Instead of taking off these exact rope stops I was now replacing I am thinking that during an early life adjustment someone wanted to shorten the rope just a tiny bit and tied some other rope around it to make things a little tighter...hmmm.

Anyway, I got the new rope stop installed and during the first test to close it the cover popped out of the track for the first time ever. Doh!!!

Fortunately that was an easy fix...I think/hope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have to paint the PVC and filter putty or black? How about purple? Or green? Or red and yellow candy-striped?

I'm planning to upgrade and have a faster pump and hard plumb eventually, and would love to know if I can be crazy with the colors...

Like this before and after?

Reactions: LiveHereNow
Changed out my filter psi gage to a new one and the new pressure jumped up to 16.5psi. With the old gage the psi was 12.5 so I got one of the glycerine filled gages from TFP and still the psi read 14.5. Like the new gauge so I have noted the new psi :cheers:

Last edited:
Going on 3 weeks without a working pool pump so I finally decided to use the leaf vacuum thing that works using a garden hose to clean the big stuff out. The leaf thing came with the house/pool but I've never actually used it before. I'm actually pretty pleased with the results. It doesn't get the fine stuff out, but my pool looks pretty good all things considered. New pump should be here in a couple days ?

Reactions: Chickinvic
Sadly nothing. We are in the process of getting the liner changed and a few needed repairs and it has been a slow process due to the horrible spring we've had here in Ontario this year. Weather finally got nice a few days ago. Last year we had already been swimming for a month at this time. Sigh!

Applied some more JB Weld to my filter manifold, and the pump housing after the first time around failed. Vacuumed day 2 of flocculent(sp?) due to water top off needed. Good to see the deep end again. Got the Rover, then searched for an hour for the controller/transformer, but finally put him to work. Brushed the walls and floor stained areas mainly and did a single shock. So much for seeing the deep end again.
Pump housing leak is back, and figure that the Manifold is not well also, so looking online to replace the parts now. Also looking to convert from a slider valve to a multi-port valve. Time to BBB and balance out now that the Algae is pretty much gone.

We had a big birthday bash for my now 10 year old son yesterday?! It was the very first time we have had THAT many kids in the pool at one time - only 12-14 kids and a handful of adult kids...this just happened to be our hottest day of the year no less, so the pool was perfect to keep everyone cool!

Everyone had a blast. By the time the last stragglers got out of the pool the water for the first time ever was slightly cloudy and also about 3 inches lower. I had tested the chlorine at 6.5 before the party and didn't feel like testing it after, so I was curious to see what it would look like today - I ran the pump a little longer last night and this morning to help filter our all of the sunscreen, and whatever else was in the pool. I just tested the water and the FC was sitting at 8 and the water is pretty much back to TFP clear, so I dropped the robot back in and covered it up for the night. Yeah! :rockon:

Reactions: bmoreswim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support