What did you do to your pool today?

Bought a pressure washer along with the surface cleaner attachment and washed my decking. I have A LOT of decking and it took me just over 5 hours to clean it, but it looks like new. If I was just using the wand instead of the surface cleaner, I doubt I would have finished it today, so that $70 attachment was well worth it! I’ll tackle the driveway and sidewalks tomorrow, but they shouldn’t take nearly as long.

I’ve had pressure washing crews before and none have ever really gotten the decking clean - nothing like today’s result. So glad I finally bought my own. It cost less than paying somebody to do it.

it's been raining for 2.5 days, so not much. Got hubby to get a water sample and empty the skimmer bc I'm recovering from knee surgery and can't kneel down. (Maybe this can be milked all summer? Shhh.) Skimmer was full of little white flowers that got blown off my beloved snowball bush during the storm that's very close to the pool. Tested. Results good.

I'd also like more evidence of this mythical surface cleaner. After getting caught in a rainstorm when we put our polymeric sand down last fall, there's a white haze and some sand stuck to the surface of our pavers. Holding the wand close to the pavers is enough to clean them, but the thought of doing that for every individual paver sounds like a nightmare.

Bought a pressure washer along with the surface cleaner attachment and washed my decking. I have A LOT of decking and it took me just over 5 hours to clean it, but it looks like new. If I was just using the wand instead of the surface cleaner, I doubt I would have finished it today, so that $70 attachment was well worth it! I’ll tackle the driveway and sidewalks tomorrow, but they shouldn’t take nearly as long.

I’ve had pressure washing crews before and none have ever really gotten the decking clean - nothing like today’s result. So glad I finally bought my own. It cost less than paying somebody to do it.
I love my spinny scrubby thing! There’s a learning curve but it definitely makes a huge difference - p.s. we ❤️ pics!

Can you spinny scrubbers give us a link/model/brand, etc? I've got my big annual deck pressure-wash chore to do still and would love a shortcut.

Threw the hose in last night for a couple hours, shut the water off and turned it back on this morning to top her off. Looks much better. SWG is working well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been busy remodeling our screened in porch, got the new decking down this past weekend. Late last night I was rushing to get the pool tested and in order.

FC was high, pH was high, CYA was low.

Dropped the SWG from 20% to 10%
Added the recommended MA
Added the recommended CYA

Now I'm sitting here second guessing myself because:

1.) My pH reading was probably not accurate because I had high FC
2.) I added MA to lower the pH, but I also added CYA which is going to lower the pH

I know my FC was high, and my CYA was low because I had to drain after a heavy rainstorm earlier this spring. My pH does generally run high/creep upward so I'm sure it needed SOME adjusting, but I might have overdone it.

Edit: porch decking photo

Been busy remodeling our screened in porch, got the new decking down this past weekend. Late last night I was rushing to get the pool tested and in order.

FC was high, pH was high, CYA was low.

Dropped the SWG from 20% to 10%
Added the recommended MA
Added the recommended CYA

Now I'm sitting here second guessing myself because:

1.) My pH reading was probably not accurate because I had high FC
2.) I added MA to lower the pH, but I also added CYA which is going to lower the pH

I know my FC was high, and my CYA was low because I had to drain after a heavy rainstorm earlier this spring. My pH does generally run high/creep upward so I'm sure it needed SOME adjusting, but I might have overdone it.

Edit: porch decking photo
Deck looks fantastic!

If you overdosed at all, it will be minor and right itself quickly. No worries. But your thinking process is sound, and something to consider next time.

C’mon you can’t write about it without photos of either the equipment or the before and after shots. ;)
For some reason, I can’t paste a picture. You’ll just have to trust me, ;)

The pressure washer I bought is a Greenworks Pro 3000. It was the most powerful electric one I could find - 3000 psi. 3 year overall warranty and 10 year motor warranty. I did the driveway and sidewalks today. As much as I like the washer, I’m kinda sick of it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
The pressure washer I bought is a Greenworks Pro 3000. It was the most powerful electric one I could find - 3000 psi. 3 year overall warranty and 10 year motor warranty.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
As much as I like the washer, I’m kinda sick of it now.
So does that mean you didn't get my hint and aren't going to offer to do my yard?

• Haha
Reactions: jark87
Can you spinny scrubbers give us a link/model/brand, etc? I've got my big annual deck pressure-wash chore to do still and would love a shortcut.
I have a ryobi one- mine is little but they make a bigger one for larger pressure washers too. Its round - check Home Depot

Reactions: Dirk
I have a ryobi one- mine is little but they make a bigger one for larger pressure washers too. Its round - check Home Depot

I also have a small electric Ryobi pressure washer (the 2300psi, 1.1gpm Model RY142300). I like it a lot. It's easy to use, easy to empty, stores in not much space -- it works well for my light-duty needs.

Its spinning surface cleaner is the Model RY31012, about which I'm more ambivalent. On smooth concrete or wood decks, it's faster than using the spray wand, but it's really small so cleaning still takes a long time. And it doesn't work on irregular surfaces like heavily stamped concrete, and its durability gets mixed reviews. It's been a net positive for me, but just barely.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk

This is the one I have

I have a gas pressure washer - a Sears Craftsman with a B&S engine on it. No idea what model it is, it is 15+ years old with some various parts rebuilt/replaced over the years.

I also have a sewer jetter for it, which is an awesome thing to have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support