What did you do to your pool today?

That is the way the world should work. You're not, by most standards, but people just don't do that anymore. I was going to say the same thing here after reading that.

I am in a brand new subdivision that is almost entirely young tech folks. They won't talk to their neighbors, and certainly don't DIY anything. I had new neighbors on each side of me for a month before I realized the new homes were even occupied. I suspected it, but never saw any activity or lights until them backing out of the garages. I never saw move it. Nice "kids", but not the type. I have befriended both my younger neighbors who have both told me they appreciate and admire me doing stuff myself like lawn work and other stuff they just don't know how. They asked me if they could ask me questions if they needed help, which of course I am fine with. I need neighbors I can trust to help with packages and maybe pool stuff while I'm gone (which is often and my wife often comes with me).

It then occurred to me, I'm the old man in the neighborhood. A cross between Tim-the-toolman-Taylor and Mr. Wilson.
Kudos. I'm the only one in my neighborhood that bothers to introduce themselves to other neighbors, and they're not young people. It's just not done anymore. Sad. So I wave, and stop and chat, and offer to help them in some way, etc, and if that makes me the crazy ol' coot on the street, I'm good with that.

My niece once complained to me when she got promoted to manager of a coffee shop: her new hires didn't even know how to sweep a floor!

Reactions: newdude and dfwnoob
I am in a brand new subdivision that is almost entirely young tech folks. They won't talk to their neighbors, and certainly don't DIY anything...

Sad. So I wave, and stop and chat, and offer to help them in some way, etc, and if that makes me the crazy ol' coot on the street, I'm good with that.

I'm relatively young, turned 35 a few months ago - but I was raised by grandparents ("mom and dad" refers to my grandparents, I never knew them as anything but), so I guess some of their ways rubbed off on me. I wave to people walking down the street as I drive by, but only 50% or so wave back. Usually I get a puzzled look, and even from people older than me.

As for working on my own stuff/DIY, I'm what Kid Rock once called "straight out the trailer", so paying people to do things for me still feels like either an insane luxury or entirely unnecessary. Moreover, and I know I've mentioned this before, but most PrOfEsSiOnALs you hire are anything but, so I prefer doing things on my own anyway.

A cross between Tim-the-toolman-Taylor and Mr. Wilson.

You really can't be Tim Taylor until you power your pool pump with a supercharged small block Chevy. And then it explodes.

You really can't be Tim Taylor until you power your pool pump with a supercharged small block Chevy. And then it explodes.
Tim Allen GIF

--Jeff

I'm what Kid Rock once called "straight out the trailer"
I’m a tad bit country red neck myself, and agree. My second (and best) bride used to ask me why I was just standing off the side of the patio. She stopped a while back.

I am current on crutches for a temp hip issue and it’s killing me to pay someone to mow twice a week because I would much rather do it myself. I understand completely. Plus, it’s fun to learn. That’s why I’m enjoying this pool. It is something I’ve never done before.

and it’s killing me to pay someone to mow twice a week because I would much rather do it myself.
There are only two ways to do things. My way or the right way. They are both identical. I can't find anyone else to do either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the looploc cover in the bag on the 1st TRY. :party:

Having a large bag clearly makes the difference. The bag that came with my previous cover was the size of a pillow case.

View attachment 485368

Now try and lift it to carry it somewhere. Wife and I had to team-lift ours.

Side note: Where/how are you storing it? I left mine in the garage for a few days to let it fully dry out, then put it down in the basement.

We don't (haven't yet?) had any issues with mice or other critters, but I'd hate to find out we do by them nesting in our cover bag. I thought of getting a giant storage tote to put it in, but I'm not even sure they make them that large.

Side note: Where/how are you storing it?
I screwed some brackets to the garage ceiling and hung it about 2 ft away from anything climbable. Them little critter jerks can probably still jump to it from something else, but they'll have to work for it.

Reactions: dleonard1122
Got the looploc cover in the bag on the 1st TRY. :party:

Having a large bag clearly makes the difference. The bag that came with my previous cover was the size of a pillow case.
They must have listened to complaints from customers. I noticed too that the bag is larger than previous ones. It was a nice change. They also added handles to the bag.

Reactions: newdude
Yesterday I drained another 2 inches of water off the pool due to heavy rain on Saturday. I see repeating the process again next week since the forecast is for rain Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support