What did you do to your pool today?

What’s your trick. I gotta do mine but I can’t stand taking it apart. It’s so hard to put back together and get it to not leak while I’m scared I’m going to over tighten and crack something.
Buy big enough that you only need to clean at the end of the season. :LOL:

• Love
Reactions: Liz315 and Newdude
Threw Rosey in the pool and ran her for 3 cycles.

I don't know about you guys that would die over your robot. I ran it for 3, 2 hour cycles, and I had 4 spots just like this still sitting in there. Granted, I haven't ran it in several months. But I am just not that impressed with it. I do have to remember that I bought it to do my brushing for me. That's really where she shines! And she definitely picks up junk. I leave the fine filters in it and they are always dirty as heck! So I'm not saying it doesn't pick up stuff. I'm just really surprised at how much it leaves behind.

--Jeff

Attachments

• Dirty spots.JPG
    Dirty spots.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Sad
Reactions: kimkats
I pulled my cover today after looking at the extended forecast of 50's, 60s and 70s into April. I did not pull the plugs and I'm not going to until April. I'm going to put Carlos (automatic cleaner) in tomorrow for a few hours, let him mix the water, clean the floor n test the pool. I'll be adding liquid chlorine and giving it a good brushing and then let it all settle and put Carlos back in in a couple days for round 2. I have a lot of sediment on the floor but can still see all the way down into the deep end.

Attachments

• 20220318_173215.jpg
    20220318_173215.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220318_170453.jpg
    20220318_170453.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220318_170418.jpg
    20220318_170418.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220318_170439.jpg
    20220318_170439.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 22
Threw Rosey in the pool and ran her for 3 cycles.

I don't know about you guys that would die over your robot. I ran it for 3, 2 hour cycles, and I had 4 spots just like this still sitting in there. Granted, I haven't ran it in several months. But I am just not that impressed with it. I do have to remember that I bought it to do my brushing for me. That's really where she shines! And she definitely picks up junk. I leave the fine filters in it and they are always dirty as heck! So I'm not saying it doesn't pick up stuff. I'm just really surprised at how much it leaves behind.

--Jeff
Ours is the same way. There are always dirty places. It doesn't do well after we hand a Monsoon and have lots of dirt in the pool. I wish we had gotten the IFC.

I wish we had gotten the IFC.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my IFC, but mine also leaves a couple of dirty spots. Just don't want you thinking it's all sunshine and roses. I try to imagine what it would be like if I didn't have the IFC. I guess I'd be throwing the bot in the pool daily, or it would live in there. Fortunately, I have the IFC so I can just toss it in on the weekends and let it do its brushing duties.

Had a storm blow through Thursday night. Yesterday cleaned the massive amount of leaves from the skimmers, and the rest of the pool. Tossed Rosey in for the assist. Added a bag of salt, some LC, and a little MA to get levels in order.

--Jeff

Edit-Finished my thought about sunshine and roses

Last edited:
When was the last time you lubed the "O" ring for the cover ? When I notice mine is dry or after reassembly it seeps I know it's time to pull the gasket and coat it again with a little silicone grease. Makes a world of difference in helping the O ring seat properly. Either pickup a little tub of it at a big box or hardware store or pool stores usually sell it in tubes. You want to make sure it's silicone grease as using something petroleum based will degrade the rubber.
I also dab a bit on the threads of the center threaded rod to help make it easier to loosen and tighten down that cover.

Silicone Faucet Grease small.jpgSilicone lubricant for O rings.jpg
What’s your trick. I gotta do mine but I can’t stand taking it apart. It’s so hard to put back together and get it to not leak while I’m scared I’m going to over tighten and crack something.

Reactions: kimkats
When was the last time you lubed the "O" ring for the cover ? When I notice mine is dry or after reassembly it seeps I know it's time to pull the gasket and coat it again with a little silicone grease. Makes a world of difference in helping the O ring seat properly. Either pickup a little tub of it at a big box or hardware store or pool stores usually sell it in tubes. You want to make sure it's silicone grease as using something petroleum based will degrade the rubber.
I also dab a bit on the threads of the center threaded rod to help make it easier to loosen and tighten down that cover.

View attachment 395450View attachment 395451
Awesome, and just to make sure this is for the cover of the cartridge filter right? I’ll have to try it. My pool had its first season last year so we will see.

The O ring should slip off the lip of the top halp of the filter housing. You don't need much and have some paper towel or rag handy to wipe hands after. Just a little dab and then spread it as far as it goes and than take a little more. You'll get the hang of it soon enough on how much grease you can spread. Doesn't take much, just enough to very lightly coat the gasket. Same with that dab at the top of the threaded rod but that can be a bit larger to fill in the first five or so threads. At least that's what I do and it's worked great for me. Learned the trick when I rebuilt my sticky multi-port valve on my sand filter in WI.

Filter Cartridge Hayward C12002 Lube Points.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a different filter than mine in the video. Where he applies it to the O ring while it's installed I take the O ring off and lubricate both sides (all) of my O ring. I also make sure both the lower housing and upper housing gasket surfaces are clean before I reinstall it.

I also should have looked up your filter before opening my mouth. I see the Pentair 320 uses a different type of O ring. Using the silicone grease should still allow the O ring to better seal while tightening down the band clamp. Sorry I didn't look first. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4
Put Carlos in the pool this morning and let him run for a cycle. Cleaned him out. I ran test results and dumped a gallon of old 12% into the pool and gave it a good brushing. I'll test FC later to see how much that old 12% is registering. I'm not throwing it away. I don't care if its 3% at this point. It still smells like chlorine. 😆

I started "opening" last weekend. It's still way too cold (48-degree water), but I'm so sick of the cold and was very tired of looking at the nasty pool. Lol.

I have a cover but I don't use it, unfortunately. I have a dog who thinks that it is just solid ground when it's on, so it's safer to leave it off. She knows to avoid the pool...when she sees it.
I gave up scooping the massive amount of fall leaf drop around Oct.

So last weekend we scooped for about an hour and got most of the leaves out. Put them on tarps and get them taken away with the recycling. After that, I backwashed, emptied the skimmers, threw the vacuum in and poured the rest of my leftover bleach from last summer in, and put a few pucks in the skimmer (they will not dissolve in the floater at this water temp but will dissolve in the skimmer). Also brushed every inch of the pool.

Ran the vacuum a few times since then, here is our progress shot! We scooped out some more leaves that resettled today and I put some more chlorine in.
It's got plenty of time to filter before it's warm enough to swim so this is nice. Nice and slow opening. Lol!

IMG_8728.PNGIMG_8730.PNG

It’s almost that time! Cleaned my filter, added a little MA, added some fill water, and increased SWCG production. Water temp has risen from the low 50s to mid 60s in a past couple of weeks. Can’t wait to get the cover off!

I let Carlos run for 2 cycles today and cleaned his basket out after each cycle. I added 2 gallons of old chlorine n brushed the pool really well about an hour ago. I'm going to let it settle for a couple days n throw Carlos back in. Tomorrow should be gorgeous so I'm going to attempt to put some pool furniture together by myself and spay the decking off away from the pool. I'm waiting til second week of April to pull the plugs n start the equipment.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Kids talked me into finally busting out the pool floats. Got the turtle and lounger filled with air and they got in the pool. Air temp was only about 69 and water was 70 so they didn't last too long. They talked me into turning on the spa though and once that happened we spent a few hours between the pool and spa.

I've been running the solar heating as often as possible. I'm getting excited the weather might get to 80 on Tuesday, hopefully I can get the pool up to mid to high 70's!

Kids talked me into finally busting out the pool floats. Got the turtle and lounger filled with air and they got in the pool. Air temp was only about 69 and water was 70 so they didn't last too long. They talked me into turning on the spa though and once that happened we spent a few hours between the pool and spa.

I've been running the solar heating as often as possible. I'm getting excited the weather might get to 80 on Tuesday, hopefully I can get the pool up to mid to high 70's!
Just go all crazy and burn those fossil fuels!! We won the 2 big ones, to the victors go the spoils!! LOL

Reactions: brimorga
I pulled my cover today after looking at the extended forecast of 50's, 60s and 70s into April. I did not pull the plugs and I'm not going to until April. I'm going to put Carlos (automatic cleaner) in tomorrow for a few hours, let him mix the water, clean the floor n test the pool. I'll be adding liquid chlorine and giving it a good brushing and then let it all settle and put Carlos back in in a couple days for round 2. I have a lot of sediment on the floor but can still see all the way down into the deep end.
I have been contemplating doing the same. I know I'm at 0 FC and I've been tempted to take the cover off, use the robot and the brush to mix some LC into the water without running the plumbing and power for a few months.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support