What did you do to your pool today?

Put it up! For the first time. What a job. Now I have to start learning.
First step, a good test kit! The one in my signature, or a Taylor K-2006c.

Also, please add your pool and equipment details to your signature!

Reactions: George0506
Threw Junior in, tested water, added MA to lower PH, changed skimmer hairnet, looked sadly at my 78 degree water, and hung a brand new Waspinator.
Does this thing actually work? How many do you use and where do you place them?

My daughter is terrified of “bees”, to the point that she will refuse to swim/go outside if she sees any kind of bee/wasp/etc. Like... she’s 7 and she’ll sometimes ask the temperature to see if it’s “bee weather” before deciding to go out.

We have a spring treatment done to keep them from nesting around our home but some inevitably
come buzzing around the water.

Does this thing actually work? How many do you use and where do you place them?

My daughter is terrified of “bees”, to the point that she will refuse to swim/go outside if she sees any kind of bee/wasp/etc. Like... she’s 7 and she’ll sometimes ask the temperature to see if it’s “bee weather” before deciding to go out.

We have a spring treatment done to keep them from nesting around our home but some inevitably
come buzzing around the water.
Yes, they do, for wasps anyway. Not sure about bees. Make sure any existing nests are killed and knocked down, then stuff the waspinator with plastic grocery bags or bubble wrap, etc. to give it shape, then hang it in the area. I have one in my carport, one under my pool stairs, and one hanging on a plant hook near pool.

Between that and the Skill-it algaecide (no copper) that I put in every 2-3 weeks (just a couple of ounces) to change surface tension of the water, I’ve gone to finding literally dozens of wasps using my pool to just a couple now and then.

Reactions: magiteck
Today, I added another 10ppm of CYA to see how much it will reduce my FC loss. I also brushed it. Most days, it's just a boring addition of liquid chlorine. I almost want my pool to challenge me so I can do something different and have to actually work at keeping it clear. LC every day and MA once or twice a week is not challenging enough. I like to live life on the edge.

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Today, I added another 10ppm of CYA to see how much it will reduce my FC loss. I also brushed it. Most days, it's just a boring addition of liquid chlorine. I almost want my pool to challenge me so I can do something different and have to actually work at keeping it clear. LC every day and MA once or twice a week is not challenging enough. I like to live life on the edge.
That's the thing. Once you get the methodology down, it's no big shakes. I've stopped trying to convince my friends and acquaintances that pool management is labor intensive.

It's a tad more costly this year, but not in terms of time.

Reactions: Sunnydaze

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Emptied skimmer basket which was full of leaves. And they don’t look like they came from any of the nearby trees. Hmmmmm.

Put up the gazebo, put out the furniture cushions, and blew up some floats. My oldest already took a dip after his soccer game. I'm about to go in shortly.

I've also commandeered my youngest's Little Tikes hoop. Now we can play some shallow-end basketball.

Last edited:
Temp drop here in Chicago over night, forgot to put solar cover on, looking out window and can see a slight fog cloud over pool and all the heat leaving :(

• Sad
Reactions: Snoobug
I’ve become a temporary bleach dumper as my SWCG has finally died after just over 8 seasons. Thankfully the availability of them is not an issue. Though the price is up 30% from pre-pandemic pricing. I chose to go OEM Hayward though there is a lot of discussion of aftermarket as well. Should arrive next week.

I knew it was failing for the last year as the computer salt level started to diverge lower than actual over the last year. It was down to 2600 vs 3200 actual. Then this week I spotted just less than crystal clear water between FC tests. And I confirmed no cell production as FC dropped with cell set at 100%.

I’ve become a temporary bleach dumper as my SWCG has finally died after just over 8 seasons. Thankfully the availability of them is not an issue. Though the price is up 30% from pre-pandemic pricing. I chose to go OEM Hayward though there is a lot of discussion of aftermarket as well. Should arrive next week.

I knew it was failing for the last year as the computer salt level started to diverge lower than actual over the last year. It was down to 2600 vs 3200 actual. Then this week I spotted just less than crystal clear water between FC tests. And I confirmed no cell production as FC dropped with cell set at 100%.
I too have become a bleach dumper, as I await my new CircuPool Universal25. Not my first choice, but the CircuPool units are selling out like crazy, so I grabbed this one before it sold out as well!

Reactions: bmoreswim
90 Degrees last weekend. Looking to be about that next weekend, sandwiching Memorial Day Weekend where it struggled to top 65 and rained for the better part of 72 straight hours.

I put the robot in the water yesterday, brushed the walls, and took a panel of tests. I also took advantage of the Memorial Day sales on Chlorine and built up my inventory to about 16 cases in my garage. I got a extra few because it is 10% rather than my normal stock of 12.5%. Finally I added 4 lbs. of baking soda to raise the TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support