What did you do to your pool today?

Just got the cover off.
103b761e70e075e6ee9edddf253b1938.jpg

Replaced the Booster pump for the Polaris 280.
It would have been an easy 30 minute job except I had run out of Teflon tape.
Next time I"m at the hardware store, I"m going to get a copper grounding lug to connect a break in the bonding wire. I cleaned it up and twisted it for now. It was tucked under the booster pump and was barely connected together. Also found the ground wire was not even secured and was off the ground lug in the old booster pump. Old Booster pump works so I may just get some hose fittings for it and a GFI extension chord and use it as a pump to pump out water in the future.

Of course, I turn it on, its working fine, then I discover a leaking hose coupling. AMAZON ordered...

24b6302caaa7503a271b015f3caf5abe.jpg

240a7eb7aae2b10ece8540ae52249e9a.jpg

dcc86ed590e1c465522974e9e1297f9f.jpg

9d417a325a2254986970aa0b52114f1b.jpg

Tested water....then pulled Sheldon the robot out, found a small dead snake in the basket. Dropped basket and walked away..

Skippy'll find it sooner or later and fix it all.

That's two this week. Or one the came back after Skippy tossed him out the first time? Stupid snake.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opened the pool on Sunday! :party:

Water was clear but cold, 56 degF last weekend but 51 degF today. Just a little bit of dirt and a few leaves to vac out.
I did drop the water from the cover in the pool, so that added a bit of cloudiness, but the filter looked to remove that. I did an OCLT last night and passed.
H6g82kim.jpg

As I was pulling the cover off, the kids were asking when they could get in. I said "as soon as the water was warm enough for you. it'll be ready"

They stuck their hand in the water, said it was cold then asked to get in. Apparently they couldn't imagine what 51 degF water felt like until today. The one with the orange shirt jumped in twice. Blue tube didn't get more than his ankles wet. The other two took one jump in each. then all ran to get a towels. :gone:
EISZKxvm.jpg

Swept the pool, adjusted TA. Checked pH and added chlorine. The pool looks like my pool! :mrgreen:

I think the operative question is, "what did my pool do to me today?" I am within 8 days of opening it for the season. I am getting anxious because the former owner was not a TFPer and I want to learn plumbing, valves and other inner-workings and tackle the mess we were left with.

Why wait 8 days? What happens in 8 days that you can open then?
New pool and I am unfamiliar with the set up. This one has a heater as well. So, to save time, I hired the company who installed it (and who the former owner used) and I'm going to ask questions and take notes as they go about their business. It took my Dad and I the better part of a beautiful Saturday afternoon to figure out my former pool. Time we could have spent on other things...and beer...

Rough week. Last Monday, I lost my grip and fell from the pull-up rig at the box and landed on my back after roughly a 9 ft fall. Broke the "wings" off of three of my vertebrae and ended up in the hospital overnight. No lifting or other physical activity for three weeks - guess the kids (7 and 9) are going to get a crash course in basic pool maintenance. :p I found out I can test the pool myself by stepping into the spa and sitting on the side with my legs in the water, using the spa steps to then get myself back out without having to bend over.

So, after fighting with my flow sensor in my heater - trying to get it unstuck and unscrewed from the header, the pool company tech came last Wednesday, pulled out an exact copy of the plumbing pliers I had been trying with, and the little sucker came out almost immediately. Lovely. Had my father install the new sensor, and we're back in business with a working pool heater - I suppose that was worth a $75 service visit. :p

Today, the 9 year old helped me to get the cover off the pool so that the Kreepy could run and he skimmed for me (I may have lifted a little more than I should have, but his help was the deciding factor). Their first swim of the season for them will be this afternoon, water temp is 87 off of 24 hour use of a solar blanket alone (our highs have been in the mid 90's for the last week). I'll end up sitting quietly on a step.

Rough week. Last Monday, I lost my grip and fell from the pull-up rig at the box and landed on my back after roughly a 9 ft fall. Broke the "wings" off of three of my vertebrae and ended up in the hospital overnight. No lifting or other physical activity for three weeks - guess the kids (7 and 9) are going to get a crash course in basic pool maintenance. :p I found out I can test the pool myself by stepping into the spa and sitting on the side with my legs in the water, using the spa steps to then get myself back out without having to bend over.

So, after fighting with my flow sensor in my heater - trying to get it unstuck and unscrewed from the header, the pool company tech came last Wednesday, pulled out an exact copy of the plumbing pliers I had been trying with, and the little sucker came out almost immediately. Lovely. Had my father install the new sensor, and we're back in business with a working pool heater - I suppose that was worth a $75 service visit. :p

Today, the 9 year old helped me to get the cover off the pool so that the Kreepy could run and he skimmed for me (I may have lifted a little more than I should have, but his help was the deciding factor). Their first swim of the season for them will be this afternoon, water temp is 87 off of 24 hour use of a solar blanket alone (our highs have been in the mid 90's for the last week). I'll end up sitting quietly on a step.
Ouch!! Good luck in your recovery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support