What caused this crack?

nebpool

May 24, 2022
Nebraska
When the pool was opened a few days ago, there was a large crack in the filter (see picture). With the discoloration around the crack, I believe this was caused by the filter not being drained in the Fall. Could it be caused by something else? I would appreciate getting any comments on what you guys think could have caused this!

Pool filter crack.jpg

Did you drain the water out of the filter last fall?
This last week is my first experience with this pool as I'm helping a friend who is the owner. She has a pool company close and open the pool, so I can't speak to whether or not they drained the filter or if the plug was in or out. All I know is what the crack shows me. From what I see, I believe the crack had to be caused by water freezing inside during the winter and not by pressure when the pool was opened a few days ago. I'm hoping the pool management sees it the same way, but I wanted someone way more knowledgeable than me to chime in. Am I correct in my assumption??? Appreciate everyone!!!

Was the crack there before the pump was turned on?

In my opinion, it is from freeze damage.

The pump can't get anywhere close to the filter's rated maximum pressure.
Sorry, I don't know if it was there before the pump was turned on. The guy that closed the pool in the Fall was the one who started opening up the pool a couple days ago, but we were gone, so he wasn't able to turn on the water since the turn-on is inside the house. Another guy came a few days later, and when the water got turned on he found the crack. Of course, he said he thought the first guy would have drained it in Fall and he said maybe when he turned on the water the pressure caused the crack. We haven't talked to the guy who did the initial opening of the pool or the pool management. Really appreciate everyone's input so I'm ready for the conversation with the pool company.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to all of you for your input!! I am a lot more confident in what I believe happened thanks to all of you!! We will have a conversation with the pool company and I will let you know what happens. Thanks again!!

From looks of it, it's been leaking a while. There looks to be staining on the tank and the fibers look stained on about the lower 7/8th of the split and looks clean and white on the top 1/8th.

As to what caused this, I don't know. Could have been freezing, something impacted it, chemicals go on it and weakened it, water hammer, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.