What can I get done while pool is closed/lining being replaced?

TDTPool

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2022
Cartersville, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I recently bought a house with a liner pool, and have finally got the water good but I’m noticing the liner is pretty dated - I’m interested in replacing it during the winter/later season prior to re-opening but it has me thinking; What projects can I do while it is either closed or liner being replaced? For instance, adding lights, re-do steps etc?

Kind of looking for recommendations. Our current light doesn’t work at all, but that could be electrician, and it made me thinking I want to make a list of projects to do while it’s closed.

adding lights, re-do steps etc?
Anything that touches the liner is something you would do during the liner install. But you might consider going back to the equipment pas for more ideas. Post some pics of the pool and pad as well. Be sure to update your signature too so we know everything you have.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Pool Care Basics

Hey TDT and Welcome !!!

Got any pics to stir the imaginations ?

What kind of stairs do you have ? Liner over concrete stairs can be changed/redone without collateral damage, but replacing fiberglass steps would damage the nearby patio also.

Most plumbing changes would require patio work as well.

If the light conduit is in good shape, a replacing light one should be easy for an electrician. If not, you'll be busting up the patio.

TD, congrats on the new house and pool. One thought, you want a sunny 70+ degree day to most easily get a liner replaced. (And perhaps a few days in a in a row without rain, if there is work to be done on the bottom of the pool or walls once the liner is out.) So - either plan for very early fall in GA or in spring (my installer had a waiting list that I went on in October to be his 4th install in April, as an example...)

Replacing / updating stairs would be something to consider while the liner it out - an expensive project, but something at least worth considering. (I would have loved to do mine, but installer strongly advised against it because of the need to break up concrete - but I still wish I had...)

You will have a lot of fun choosing a liner pattern and color - best of luck.

Thanks all for the reply! Will submit pics soon, didn’t even think about it. I’d love to get steps done, and see if I can have the pool made a tiny bit deeper? My top step currently never gets water, so it ends up dirty and looking ‘off’.

I need to find out if the light conduit is good, or not - Right now it doesn’t turn on at all, I have an electrician coming to see if it’s a GFI issue or something bigger. I’ve never had a pool before so unsure how complicated this ends up getting.

One thought, you want a sunny 70+ degree day to most easily get a liner replaced. (And perhaps a few days in a in a row without rain, if there is work to be done on the bottom of the pool or walls once the liner is out.)

This is interesting; I didn’t know that. I was thinking doing it during winter would be fine.

I bought a house with a pool about 7 months ago; a couple people here helped me a lot with the chemistry piece, and I made one post asking for ideas on renovations, but then winter hit and the pool got closed.
Prior to getting it closed I had someone come out and talk to ideas for how to 'clean up' the bricks around the "kiddie pool" (I do'nt know what you call it for real) and to look at the liner.
I have an issue with the liner 'folding' over in certain parts, it creates a super tight crease; not a big deal but I'm new to pool so I asked. He explained some 'science' stuff around pressure changes, static build-up (I forget, it's been like 5 months) but it sounds real?
He told me the thing he would recommend is to close up the kiddie pool, move the pump out of it and just use it as a seating area. Which actually is a great thing. Something I'm interested in doing as we don't use that area (It has a lot of 'grime' build-up that I couldn't get rid of. Prior to re-opening the pool I plan to try to pressure wash it.

However, when I get asking for a quote/estimate, he became more and more flaky to the point of saying they outright "Couldn't find time to do this" despite me not giving a time limit. So, it made me doubt what he said entirely. "I'll ask TFP when it's time to re-open". So here we are!

For those who didn't come for story time, lemme bust out the bullets.
  • Can I pressure wash the top area (I believe it is 'plaster'? I'm unsure what type of pool materials. It isn't a plastic/rubber liner like the below)
    • And yes, I would shopvac up the water, not leave it to be cycled.
  • If the liner has very sharp folds (Think ironing over a bent shirt sharp), is that due to pressurization, or was the liner just put in wrong?
    • If it is pressurization, what can I do?
  • If I wanted to have the kiddie pool just filled in, and have the jets (It has 2) moved in front of it, is this going to be a massive lift? What concerns should I have?
  • Anyone have ideas for how I can treat those 'bricks' around the kiddy pool? I am having a constant issues with bees making it their home. No one likes to be near the 'waterfall' area because they come, and they come in masses.
    • I am treating as much as I can during the winter so trying to decide how to handle it.
  • Any concerns in general I should have when they re-open it?
    • They only drained "a bit" from the pool, but they said they capped the vents so I have no concerns of freezing pipes.
    • They said they would come back once-or-twice to treat it, but there is an entire area besides the top-pool where water/leaves just freely go into the pool. I expect it to be a nightmare to re-stabilize chemistry wise.

Welcome any input on my specifics Qs, or advice in general. I of course expect to go back to being more active once the pool is actually open.

Unrelated to this, I am curious if anyone has lightning input or ideas? My entire pool area is pitch black at night. The light in the pool hasn't worked since I bought it, but I do plan to replace the bulb when I open it back up (I had to turn off power for the pump so can't test it yet).

(Moved because I put in wrong section.. or did I - everything seems under Water Chemistry.)

pool1.pngpool2.png

The "kiddie pool" looks like it was originally intended to be a spillover spa.

No telling from a distance what the surface of the kiddie pool is.Ot would be unusual to have a plaster kiddie pool/spa with a liner pool. More often a fiberglass spillover spa is used with a fiberglass or liner pool.

Post closer pics of the kiddie pool such that we can see the surfaces.

Post pics of your equipment pad.

For you bees nesting in the bricks get a lot of Wasp/Yellowjack spray cans and keep on spraying the areas. Stand still in the late afternoon when they come out and see what areas they fly back into and spray them.

Thanks for recommendations! I'm going out tomorrow and will take more pictures, and will fill out the signature to best of my knowledge. (The gallons are a bit of guessing).
I do have a salt-cell setup that is dismantled ATM since it's closed, if that's what you mean @PoolStored

I do have a salt-cell setup that is dismantled ATM since it's closed, if that's what you mean @PoolStored
Awesome Congratulations GIF by PIZZA PALS PLAYZONE

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I couldn't remove the whole tarp because I need to finish vaccuumin out (My pump leaves like 1" of water at all times, and also... the bees.)

But this is what the 'kiddie pool' (I've been CORRECTED it's a 'tanning ledge') it is plaster right? I remember when I started studying TFP I had to introduce some cooper (I think it was?) to compensate for it. @ajw22
These are pics from when I bought it - Ignore the wonderfully bad job I did with the water seal on the salt cell; The day after I closed on this house the salt cell split and became a mess. I have since replaced the salt cell and the... whatever the adapter is on the wall.

I've been trying to understand how the pump works, but I kind of understand how to make the pump 'do what I want'. It's kind of the issue I have come to this group to ask for help; I've had 3 people come out and they all tell me something different.

For instance, the pump in IMG-6847 is... not really used? I can force it on, but water doesn't really get to it. One person said it's likely a second pump for the tanning ledge because it used to "shoot water" but it doesn't do anything like that, that I can figure out.

I mainly use the control on IMG-6845 to force more water to go up top to make the spillover look nicer.

Welcome any input anyone has, or ideas. I was very passionate about the pool when I bought the house, and eager for it to re-open but I am a bit concerned I'ma do something wrong, or have issues again.

One Q I do have - That gray box in IMG-6850 is my timer. I'd like to get something 'smarter' (I don't think it even works properly; the timer and the notch to turn itoff move together so I can set it for 1PM-10PM but it'll go on for 5 hours or 15 randomly.) Perhaps the ability to remotely turn it on/off?
Honestly I'd be interested in the future getting a smarter pump setup in general; I assume I can invest in just the pad and use the under-ground stuff?

Another Q: Hypothetically if like a pipe is burst underground, is it a massive issue to fix it? Like tearing up the pool flooring?

Attachments

• IMG_6850.JPEG
    IMG_6850.JPEG
    571.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6849.JPEG
    IMG_6849.JPEG
    682.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6848.JPEG
    IMG_6848.JPEG
    609.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6847.JPEG
    IMG_6847.JPEG
    666.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6846.JPEG
    IMG_6846.JPEG
    702.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6845.JPEG
    IMG_6845.JPEG
    733.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    806.4 KB · Views: 9
Updated signature. I don't know if 6500 gallon is right, or even close. If I remember I did some measurements before and then padded a bit due to the unique shape. I think it is right.

I did some random reading and based on articles like Wrinkles in a Vinyl Liner Pool this one it looks like the pool guy was spouting some facts. I am unsure how to handle this, though. I don't have any runoff anywhere near the pool EXCEPT for the tanning ledge which pours into the pool. Any ideas on this one?

Last edited:
Layout your specific questions.
Sure, reposting down here.
  • Can I pressure wash the top area (I believe it is 'plaster'? I'm unsure what type of pool materials. It isn't a plastic/rubber liner like the below)
  • If the liner has very sharp folds (Think ironing over a bent shirt sharp), is that due to pressurization, or was the liner just put in wrong?
  • If I wanted to have the kiddie pool just filled in, and have the jets (It has 2) moved in front of it, is this going to be a massive lift? What concerns should I have?
  • Anyone have ideas for how I can treat those 'bricks' around the kiddy pool? I am having a constant issues with bees making it their home. No one likes to be near the 'waterfall' area because they come, and they come in masses.
    • I am treating as much as I can during the winter so trying to decide how to handle it.
    • They only drained "a bit" from the pool, but they said they capped the vents so I have no concerns of freezing pipes.
    • They said they would come back once-or-twice to treat it, but there is an entire area besides the top-pool where water/leaves just freely go into the pool. I expect it to be a nightmare to re-stabilize chemistry wise.

It is not recommended to pressure wash plaster.

Why do you want to pressure wash it?

How old is the "plaster"?

Show us a pic looking down at the surface you want to pressure wash.

Hard to say.

Show us pics of the liner folds.

Was the liner pool ever low on water where the liner could have shifted?

You can do anything with enough money.

I don't think you move jets. If you want to add returns to your liner pool that is a trenching and plumbing job independent of filling in the kiddie pool.

Lots of spraying in the crevices is all you can do. What you have is a poor design. It should be smooth tile that does not provide nesting areas. Rip out the bricks and tile it.

I think your concern should be relying on a pool service.

We advocate for pool owners directly testing their pools and maintaining the water chemistry. NO one else will give your pool the attention the way you will.

One Q I do have - That gray box in IMG-6850 is my timer. I'd like to get something 'smarter' (I don't think it even works properly; the timer and the notch to turn itoff move together so I can set it for 1PM-10PM but it'll go on for 5 hours or 15 randomly.) Perhaps the ability to remotely turn it on/off?
Honestly I'd be interested in the future getting a smarter pump setup in general; I assume I can invest in just the pad and use the under-ground stuff?

If you want to discuss the timer then open the timer and expose the wiring inside and post pics of it.

You have four connections to the timer:
  • filter pump
  • auxiliary pump
  • heater
  • SWG
Some of the wiring to the timer does not look like it meets electrical codes, if that matters in your area.

Is the CB feeding the timer a GFCI?

What amperage is the CB feeding the timer? 120V or 240V?

Another Q: Hypothetically if like a pipe is burst underground, is it a massive issue to fix it? Like tearing up the pool flooring?

Depends where the burst is underground.

Usually pipes are trenched along the sides of the pool and there are minimal runs under the pool. However there is no telling what a builder may have done.

Show us a pic looking down at the surface you want to pressure wash.

I attached 6862 and also zoomed in to highlight the discoloration; it's an old image from when I bought the house ~8 months ago, but that green discoloration is what I'm curious about cleaning. I tried scrubbing it with a brush to no effect. I've tried monitoring its copper levels but it also didn't make a change.
I think it's important for me to say this pool was disgusting when I bought the house (You can see on the right side). I did follow a lot of the guidance on this website, and started going faux chemist mode every morning. By the end the water quality was amazing on tests, but I still couldn't get rid of that green scathing in the sundeck. (I still don't know WTF to call that)

Show us pics of the liner folds.

I can once I re-open it. While I owned it, the water never got low. The folds are extremely tight creases; I can barely see them but I can feel them easily. It looks like what I see when I look up pressurization and liners.

I don't think you move jets. If you want to add returns to your liner pool that is a trenching and plumbing job independent of filling in the kiddie pool.

Well the sundeck has two jets (I think is the word?) going into them so if I filled it, I would have to move them. Or I guess you could close them off and then all my returns go into the main tub, but I do like the idea of the waterfall if it is not the cause of this folding.

Lots of spraying in the crevices is all you can do. What you have is a poor design. It should be smooth tile that does not provide nesting areas. Rip out the bricks and tile it.
Yea, poor design is def what I'm learning about this pool. I will likely rebuild it all in 5 years if I keep the house. I'll keep just spraying the heck out of it, until I decide what to do.
I think your concern should be relying on a pool service.
Yea, I knew I'd get that from here. I will say I only relied on them from closing; this is my first ever pool and while I figured I could figure out the chemistry piece quickly, the closing felt too big of a risk for me to take on last minute. Maybe next year. (I dunno how to evict pipes, pump, what to remove, how to close off inlets). And yes, I am absolutely relying on THEM having done it right as well, which I am a bit concerned about.

Usually pipes are trenched along the sides of the pool and there are minimal runs under the pool. However there is no telling what a builder may have done.

Got it, I will wait to address that if I have too.

If you want to discuss the timer then open the timer and expose the wiring inside and post pics of it.

I will see if I can do that this weekend; I don't know the answer to any of your questions but I assume I can figure some of it out by model numbers etc.

Appreciate your help - I am trying to be the responsible pool owner, but a lot of this is hard to understand what I should be asking. A "What you don't know, you don't know" situation. The pump setup is a good example - I've taken a bunch of serial numbers and googled but outside of playing with the valves I still don't really know what they do/should do.

Attachments

• IMG_6862.jpeg
    IMG_6862.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 4
  • sundeck-green.png
    sundeck-green.png
    749.2 KB · Views: 4
You have four connections to the timer:
  • filter pump
  • auxiliary pump
  • heater
  • SWG
Are you telling me? I thought it was a question at first, but looking at the picture I can see the connections kind of going to what I believe is each of those things, plus a power.

Is the CB feeding the timer a GFCI?

What amperage is the CB feeding the timer? 120V or 240V?

How do I find out these answers? I assume I follow the outlet to the plug to see if it's GFCI, easy enough. (I dunno what CB is)
To find out amperage am I just finding out what circuit it's on? Maybe once I figure out what CB is it'll make more sense.
EDIT: ... ahh it's circuit breaker, isn't it? Would fit this narrative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.