What are these?

Aug 15, 2018
DFW, TX
We are new owners of an older pool (and house), and this is our first pool.

What are these two items? The first pic, I'm pretty sure this is for a pool vacuum or "robot." There is, however, some water coming from this port when the pump is on, but not nearly as much as the return jets. The other pump is dead (boost pump?), and I guess water is back-feeding to this port?

whatsthis-2.jpg

Pic two, I dunno. Overflow drain? I can say that after big rains, this does not drain anything!

whatsthis-1.jpg

The top one is where you plug in your Polaris or whatever suction pool cleaner you have.
It's for a pressure cleaner, not suction. I'm sure that's what igneous meant.

There will always be a small flow from that return when the main pump is running. It will only work as intended if you repair or replace the booster pump.

Mike,

Just to be clear, water powered cleaners are not Robots. Robots are standalone cleaners that do not require your pumps to be running. The usually have a 50 or 60 foot low voltage cable the moves the cleaner in the pool, and the other end of the cable is a power supply that generates the low voltage. The power supply is plugged into a standard GFCI...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mike,

Just to be clear, water powered cleaners are not Robots. Robots are standalone cleaners that do not require your pumps to be running. The usually have a 50 or 60 foot low voltage cable the moves the cleaner in the pool, and the other end of the cable is a power supply that generates the low voltage. The power supply is plugged into a standard GFCI...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Very neat!

The over flow drain, I know for a fact it doesn't work. Not even sure where it drains to, so I'm reluctant to force any water or air in there.

Mike,

Most overflow drains are connected to the drains in the rest of the decking.

Does your decking have drains? If so, where do they go?

How do you know the overflow does not work? If this were my pool, I would take the little slotted cover off and stick in a garden hose and see what happens. You can't hurt anything.

It obviously works by gravity, so the output of the drain needs to be downhill somewhere.

Thanks,

Jim R.

No drains on the decking. I know it doesn't work because after overfilling once (and big rain twice), I had to drain the pool myself back to a normal level.

I thought about sticking the garden hose in there, but I'm imagining years of dirt and dead bugs backsplashing into my face and into my pool. Yuck.

And no valve cover, rphpool. Not unless there is one buried and location is unknown... we just bought the house in July.

Mike,

Most overflow drains are connected to the drains in the rest of the decking.

Does your decking have drains? If so, where do they go?

How do you know the overflow does not work? If this were my pool, I would take the little slotted cover off and stick in a garden hose and see what happens. You can't hurt anything.

It obviously works by gravity, so the output of the drain needs to be downhill somewhere.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.