What are these pipes?

olioxenfree

Apr 13, 2024
Round Rock, TX
Hi everyone,

I've seen a few threads about this, but none quite seem to answer my questions. I would appreciate any insight!

1. What are these pipes by my equipment pad? One is capped off and one is open. From other threads, I assume the latter is some sort of relief pipe? But what about the capped one? Ignore the water heater - it is the original from ~30 years ago that was never disconnected for some reason.
2. The other two pipes are nowhere near the equipment pad. I tried pouring water down one of them and it drained, but no clue to where. I want to assume these are sewer cleanouts - but why would there be two and why wouldn't they be sealed / capped? The main sewer cleanout is on the other side of the home but the patio was redone on this home ~3-4 years ago. I believe the whole thing was dug up so its possible that someone added that sewer cleanout.

Please be kind about the state of the water :). We're in the process of moving in and the previous homeowner hadn't opened yet - I'm having to drain it due to high levels of CYA (>200 ppm).

Attachments

• 20240414_225209674_iOS.jpg
    20240414_225209674_iOS.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240414_225216431_iOS.jpg
    20240414_225216431_iOS.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240414_225223161_iOS.jpg
    20240414_225223161_iOS.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240418_000334221_iOS.jpg
    20240418_000334221_iOS.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240418_000343834_iOS.jpg
    20240418_000343834_iOS.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240418_000352326_iOS.jpg
    20240418_000352326_iOS.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

There are two capped pipes at the pad - the red handled one and the blue handled two pipes to the left of the red handle, and one uncapped pipe in front of the small Water Feature pipe.
All three are possible original pipes that may have been abandoned during a remodel.

As for the two large pipes on either side of the patio - they may be drainage pipes to allow water to flow from one side of the patio to the other or possible be hooked to gutters (if you have any).
Put your hose (water on) into one of the pipes and push it in as far as it will go. Look to see if water comes out on the opposite side of the patio.

When you have a spare minute from moving, have a read thru Pool Care Basics and watch a few TFP videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@troublefreepool4079.

Welcome to TFP.
The 2 open ended pipes under the deck are most likely drainage such as a culvert may be under a driveway.
The open ended pipe near the pad may have been a blower. Appears it was removed. You may try to blow air down it and see if it comes out by the spa jets. Just a thought.
Then there are a blue handle capped pipe. Based on its diameter and Just looking at the position of it, it may have been a line to the pool for a pressure side cleaner. Is there any return to the pool that looks like a return but it may only be 12 inches below water level and not at the standard depth for a regular return?
The remaining red handle capped pipe may have been a drain line. It is a larger pipe and is pointing towards the Multiposition valve (MPV). I see there is no drain pipe connected to the MPV - see the sight glass and exit next to it is plugged. Normally a DE filter has a drain line connected to it because in a backwash you want the water to go to the drain line. Based on what I see, it does not appear the DE filter can be backwashed. Also, note the WASTE setting on the MPV - that would allow you to drain some of your pool water.

I would uncap the 2 lines and put water or air in them to see if goes anywhere.

Ol,

The large pipes under the decking have nothing to do with your sewer.. They are for moving or removing ground water.. Or they are connected to your gutters... I see a long deck drain up close to the house, so it might be for that..

The open pipe at your pad, could be unused after a remodel, or it might be a waste pipe for your DE filter.. Your filter looks like it has a new Multi-port valve and it has not plumbing for backwashing.. Maybe that open pipe goes to the sewer or to somewhere down hill.. Maybe not.. there is no way for anyone here to know for sure.. Could be vent for your spa, but that is awful low to the ground.

The capped pipe at the pad with the red handle could be for an old and abandoned Vac port...

I have no idea what the capped pipe at the pad with the blue handle was for..

Thanks,

Jim R.