What are normal test results?

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
I have an above ground vinyl pool. It's either a 15X42 or a 16X42 and I'm new to the whole testing thing...got good kit, did first test Sunday and CYA was above 100...but thinking I did it wrong (wasn't in the sunlight and my eye sight is horrible) so I've been waiting for the rain to go away (yeah been raining off and on since Sunday) so I can do all the tests again and I found some information on what levels are normal but I couldn't find all of them (probably missing it somewhere lol) so thought I would ask real quick to see if someone could list them for me. It's currently not raining and pretty sunny out so I'm hoping it's still that way when I get home in about an hour.....

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks everyone for all your help so far and pray I get to retest when I get home tonight and it's not as bad as it was on Sunday.......also the bleach that people use to put in their pools.....that's just regular bleach right? Like would it be sold at grocery stores or even Dollar General (I assume others know what Dollar General is...hahaha)

We have recommended regular bleach here for quite some time. However, now the bleach companies are putting in something for fabric protection that you want to avoid. Clorox calls it cloromax. Target's brand says "with fabric protection". I think it's just wiser to avoid bleach and stick to liquid chlorine (10% or 12.5%). You can find it at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, Ace. Just be sure and check the dates. You want it no older than 60 days. Avoid the dollar store bleach. It is very diluted (around 3%) and not worth the time.

As for the normal levels:

FC: depends on your CYA level, generally 7.5%-10% of your CYA level
pH: 7.2 - 7.8 is a good range
CC: 0.5 or less
TA: 70 - 90 although you only want to adjust this if you find your pH rises rapidly or your CSI # is not out of range
CH: 200 - 400 for a plaster pool, vinly pool doesn't really matter unless it's very high which can lead to scaling
CYA: 30 - 50 in non SWG pool : 70 - 80 in SWG pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.