What are cons of high salt?

Jun 9, 2015
clermont, fl
Hi,

I have an SWG with a Hayward Aquarite control panel. The control panel didn't seem to be reading right (I figured out later why) so I tested with some strips which said it was low enough it didn't have a listing on the chart. My estimate was around 700-800ppm.

I added 8 bags of salt, which ended up bringing me to over 5200ppm for the instant. After draining and refilling some, the average and instant both show 4500. My water pressure is pretty low so it took all day to drop about 8 inches and refill.

My question is, what are the negatives of having a higher salt level? Can I just leave it and let the natural order of things eventually dilute it?

It's a fiberglass pool. Nothing metal in it, though I thought I read an article here that said it's not high enough to hurt it anyway. I wasn't sure if it would hurt the salt cell or any part of filter/pump set up.

Thanks.

The Hayward Aquarite control is very susceptible to salinity levels over 3200 ppm burning out some of its components.
Lower the salinity now.
I've had to replace two current protectors over the years. I'm not sure if that's the reason. I've never had it this high before, but I'll continue working on getting it down. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.