Westernsaint Dallas Suburb Pool build 1

westernsaint

Gold Supporter
Jul 1, 2020
Dallas, TX
Hey All,

Wrote an intro yesterday, so this is where it all begins I suppose. Finally getting designs/quotes, so I thought I would start getting some feedback. So, here goes. These are the detail for one of the PB's, although pool dimensions for the two we have seen have been very close. The 3rd sounds bigger, and we will get the detail on that today.
Pool_overview_006.jpg

Pool/Spa: Dallas Texas suburb. Mid to Upper 70k
Geometric pool 12,500 gal 14.5 x 26 (swimming area) 3.5'/5/4'
50sqft spa (8'x6') and tanning ledge at one end 14.5' x 34.5' overall dimensions

Equipment:
Pump - Pentair IntelliFlo VS+SVRS (part 011057 WEF 6.1 TIP 3.95)
Filter type - Pentair CCP520
Heater - Pentair Mastertemp (NG) 400k BTU
Controller - EasyTouch PS4
Interface - ScreenLogic Interface Kit
Sanitation - Pentair Intellichlor(salt chlorine generator) and/or Pentair UltraClear (ClearO3 + UltraUV)

Booster pump - Pentair Boost-Rite (for the pool cleaner I think)
Cleaning System - Racer Pressure-side in-ground

We haven't made any final decisions. This was just the design/builder we are favoring. I know how most people feel about most things on here, but bring it on!

Just some thoughts of my own.

Pump: I know the SVRS is not necessary, but I’m not sure it can be separated from that pump, and I’m not if the builder offers much more.

Filter: The largest they offer(it seems).

Heater: Seems Beefy enough. It’s about 1min per degree on the Spa

Controller: Easytouch was on the quote. Checking on intellitouch. They are a Pentair dealer/repair place, so I would imagine, they offer it all. Not sure how much it matters, but I’m going to see what they offer and if I want the upgrade.

Interface: seems normal

Sanitation. So this is where I had to do some research. I was set on a salt generator based on some experience and the casual reading I have been doing. I had never run across the ozone/uv setup, so the PB’s suggestion was a new one on me. It seems like the general consensus may be overkill for a private pool.

Booster Pump/Cleaning system. I noticed the general thought on the forum leans toward an electric solution. I'm all for a 'better' solution, although the thought of just letting the pressure-side 'Racer' just stay in the pool 90% of the time is appealing.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Under all circumstances, do NOT get a pump with SVRS function. @Jimrahbe will tell you all about them ------

Get the SWCG. The UV/ozone does not have residual sanitation and thus you must keep your FC at FC/CYA levels anyway. So let the SWCG create the chlorine for you.

Reactions: westernsaint
WS,

I was talked into the SVRS version of the IntelliFlo pump by my pool builder as it was "better".. Well.. he was wrong!! If you take only one piece of advice from this forum, make it to dump the SVRS..

I have three pools and they all have the IntelliFlo pumps.. Two have the standard IntelliFlos and the one at my house has the SVRS option.. The SVRS one has been a constant problem. but the standard version IntelliFlos are the best pumps I have ever had.. They are considered by most to be the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps.

Getting the SVRS version pump, is the worst pool decision that I have ever made. It will go into the Entrapment mode, if my neighbor just passes a little gas.. :mrgreen: OK, not quite that bad, but if I just shut off my filter air vent a little too quickly, it will shutdown. If the water is a little low and the waterfall comes on, the pump will shut off.. I have learned what not to do, but the sad part is that I should not have to do any of that. The SVRS option is just not needed.. When you have dual main drains, like all new pools, you just do not need the SVRS version.

In theory the pump should shut off and then come back on.. In operation, once it shuts off it will try a few times to restart, fail, and shut off for good.. It will often take me half an hour to get the pump running again.. Sigh!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

On the design:
- I like the overall design, and see people naturally congregating in the spa/tanning ledge area and interecting with with people in the covered patio (which hopefully includes a TV)
- Since your tanning ledge is small and already has a bubbler, I would not like the spa spillover coming over onto the ledge as well. That could be a bit much if you tried to actually sit there.
- 3.5' is fairly shallow and you will find most adults being more comfortable closer to 4' depths. Maybe compromise and add a few inches in depth to the 3.5" area.

Equipment:
- Good job on the SWCG system, skip the ozone/UV
- Automation, I would check out the intellicenter as that is the latest and greatest from Pentair over Easytouch + Screen Logic
- Look at a robot cleaner since they are newer technology and generally clean better. Plus you dont need the booster pump. Based on your comments, if you dont mind the polaris sitting in the pool most of the time, then maybe this isnt a big deal.

We’re also in the Dallas area. If you’re still getting quotes, I’d highly recommend Claffey Pools. They built our pool 13 years ago and we absolutely love it. Lots of homes with pools all around us and numerous nightmare stories over the years, especially with flooding during heavy rains. Drainage had been an issue for us prior to pool construction and we emphasized all that we had done to correct that. We went with higher-priced Claffey over others because of their attention to construction issues like shooting pool elevation at the same height as house foundation. Some of our neighbors’ builders didn’t even have overflow drainage to the curb - only drained underground into the yard, which didn’t meet code.

Reactions: justlance
@westernsaint Great looking pool & design! We're in the market for a similar pool and another rectangle. I'm trying to check builders at the same time - man are people busy with our current situation.

Would be good to compare notes~! What are you seeing as far as 'lead and build times'? I'm trying to do a reasonably priced pool as my neighborhood isn't so.... fancy.

@jark87 thanks for the tip on the builder. Second area referral that I have found on the site - highly valued IMO - as this is a sophisticated crowd. Do you use your heater at all in Texas? I am questioning whether we will need it.

Thanks all!

Do you use your heater at all in Texas? I am questioning whether we will need it.

We just built last fall and used our heater for our spa at least weekly this winter. This spring we used it to up the temp in the pool by a few degrees to make it more comfortable.

If you are getting a spa, it is a must have. Just a pool, you just have to ask yourself it the extra $ is worth it to extend your comfortable swim season by 3-4 weeks.

Reactions: justlance
@JJ_Tex oh man... you hit the nail on the head. Deciding whether or not we want a spa - when its hot for so much of the year... If I were still living in California - a spa would be a no brainer. Now... not sure its worth the use of 'sq ft' when space is at a premium.

Our pool will likely only be 12' x 25' a 6' x 6' - takes a lot!

We built in Dallas 5 years ago. I say a heater is definitely a requirement, but it all depends on your situation. 2 reasons for us 1) we have a built in spa and 2) we have a big Live Oak on the west side of the pool, that gives too much shade (in fact we are now considering taking it out - another thread for that some day.)

The built in spa - we love it and would do it again (I know @Jimrahbe and others don't agree), however the heater is required. It will raise the temp about 1 degree a minute. I don't want to maintain a separate water feature - prefer it built in. The Pentair automation makes it super easy. We use it quite a bit and I like the looks of it built in.

The second reason for the heater is our tree and the shade it makes. Our standard summer water temp is about 84, maybe 85. We've made it 87 for one day in 5 years of having the pool. Due to the shade, our pool barely gets to 84 in late June. I don't like having to use the heater, but I will use it on weekends before this time just to make the pool usable. It'll raise the temp 4 to 5 degrees in a few hours. It costs maybe $8 to $10. Not bad, but the heater is required to do it. You might be able to do roof solar if you need something like that and don't have a spa, just an option to look into.

Welcome fellow Texan. Nice pool design.
One idea is to put the seating area opposite the steps rather than opposite the spa. This could create a little longer swim lane if that is desired.
You will enjoy the Pentair 400 BTU. Definitely needed for spa and it does warm up quickly. The SPA is also great for little ones as it normally easier for them to play with or without heat. If you use the heater for the pool it will cost $$$ to warm but may be needed at times in Dallas area.
I have an older pool thus pressure operated cleaners were the "new technology" at the time. I have found it simple and easy to maintain. I do like that it stays in the pool 100% of time and I have it on timer to operate twice a day.
Good Luck and keep us informed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you use your heater at all in Texas?
We do, but not nearly as much as we did the in first couple of years. Like most responses above, we only use it for the spa and if you are including a spa, you’ll want a heater. We’ve never heated the entire pool. One thing that I’d recommend you consider is a chiller, especially if your pool will have full sun exposure. Our pool was getting into the mid-90s by July 4 and no one wanted to swim any more. We added the chiller 5 years ago and can now keep water temp around 80.
I have an older pool thus pressure operated cleaners were the "new technology" at the time. I have found it simple and easy to maintain. I do like that it stays in the pool 100% of time and I have it on timer to operate twice a day.
I have the same and feel the same way. My brother-in-law “upgraded” to a robot a few years ago and complains about having to drag it in/out of storage to clean the pool. I’m sure it cleans better but I prefer to do as little work as possible. 🙂
thanks for the tip on the builder.
If you do consider Claffey, get connected with Kevin Gilster there. He was our rep and he’s still there. I think he focuses mostly on design now, but is honest and ethical. Super, super guy!

Reactions: GDN
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.