Were to get stand alone High Chlorine test

Is your liquid chlorine old?
Always Check the date codes when buying.
Sounds like it’s about a little under 1/2 the strength it should be so you’ll be needing to use more.
Are you certain of your pool volume?
Yes- 4 gallons of 10% should raise your fc by 20ppm
Use PoolMath for calculations- much easier than what you have going on there.
View attachment 528884

Bought the liquid chlorine (10%) today.
Dates all say Feb, Mar, and May of 2023 so slightly out of date.

I don't know the volume. for certain, I have the schematic from when the pool was built which shows 16.5 for the pool and 3.5 for the hot tub. Hot tub is currently empty for repainting so all 20,000 gallons are in the pool.

Screenshot_4.png

Sure your bets when using the old stuff by adding extra (feb/march jugs)
The May jugs may be a bit better.
Also, when buying liquid chlorine it’s best to get it from inside the store as heat/sun degrade it faster.
Don’t worry, you’ll be buying more soon so you’ll have another chance at fresher stuff.
& If you complain they may give you credits for the 1/2 strength bottles. It’s not like it’s cheap! They’re gouging enough as it is.

Later - after fc comes down below 10ppm you can check if your acid additions & ph results line up with
PoolMath to hone in on your volume a little better.
Muriatic acid doesn’t suffer from degradation like bleach does so there’s less variables involved.

I don't know the volume. for certain, I have the schematic from when the pool was built which shows 16.5 for the pool and 3.5 for the hot tub. Hot tub is currently empty for repainting so all 20,000 gallons are in the pool.

7' round hot tub 48 inches deep is 1,200 gallons. No way is it 3.500 gallons.

I would be very skeptical of those pool volumes.

If you need to get an estimate of the amount of water in your pool you can use the calculator at the bottom of the old Pool math web page. You simply enter the pool dimensions and average depth and it gives you the gallons of water in the pool.

Pentair has a Pool Volume Calculator that lets you select from rectangular, oblong, round, and triangle shapes.

There is also a Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume using an alkalinity test kit, sodium bicarbonate or acid, and the formula.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A pool guy will just get you into a more expensive mess, all while costing you $$.

The SLAM process is proven, time and again, as the only way. There's no shortcuts, sorry. Your liquid chlorine was weak, damaged by time and this summers' relentless heat.

This is a tricky time of year to find liquid chlorine as Walmart just stopped stocking. You can get Home Depot or Lowe's to price match Walmart, however, as they still list it on the website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to know the % of the chlorine that you are using. Plain bleach is typically 6%. Liquid Chlorine (for pools) is either 10% or 12.5%. When you enter the % into Pool Math, make sure you are using the correct %.

I am using 10%
I used the app and I guess my liquid chlorine was way off. Pool math said 4.5 gallons. I had to use 10.
I can't believe this stuff degrades this much from heat and a few months past the due date.
I bought it at Lowes in the garden section.

Given the fragility of the liquid chlorine, the pool math calculator is of little use.

So there may be two issues.

1. The size of your pool in Pool Math.
  2. The degradation of the Liquid chlorine.
If your addition is below expectations, then REDUCE your pool size by 500G in pool math. If your addition is above expectations then INCREASE your pool volume by 500G in pool math. In both cases, adjust and retest.

Check the dates on your liquid chorine:
Chlorine Date Code Decoder - Further Reading

I think its going to be the degradation. If anything from above comments, it seems my pool volume is less than the build paperwork estimates.
Also given that it has been ~110 degrees in Dallas for the last 2 months, I suspect this chlorine is significantly reduced in potency.

This is a good explanation about why most of us use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator in Texas.

Cons to Liquid Chlorine versus a SWCG
Cost of Chlorine (SWCG a better value by far, given todays' chlorine prices)
Finding Chlorine (not consistent throughout year)
Finding Chlorine that isn't old or heat damaged (super annoying.)

Pros to Liquid Chlorine versus a SWCG
......... I'll think of one, give me a minute.

www.discountsaltpool.com

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Reactions: Mdragger88
Water is super clear but it always has been just all the algae is gone there are a couple of sort of faint pink spots that used to be green algae spots so I'm probably going to give it another day and throw in another jug of chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.