Were to get stand alone High Chlorine test

BrianWithAY

Apr 17, 2021
Dallas
I have a pool water test kit that I use but it appears I need to slam my pool and the chlorine test only goes to 10.
I see TFP sells kits but I don't need the whole kit, I just need to be able to test chlorine levels above 10.
Where might I find this one component?

What exact test kit do you have now?
Based on what you have, it may be more cost effective long term to aquire one of the recommended test kits rather than the FAS-DPD test kit. Test Kits Compared

The stand alone FAS-DPD test kit is a Taylor K-1515.

For the chlorine testing, does it have a powder (R-870) you add to the water sample and then drops (R-871) to complete the FC test?

If not, you don't have the K-2006C that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test (R-870 and R-871 reagents).
It may be a K-2005C that includes the DPD chlorine test that only tests to FC 10.

How old are your reagents?
What are the expiration days on the reagent bottles?

Take a picture of your kit and post it here.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have a pool water test kit that I use but it appears I need to slam my pool and the chlorine test only goes to 10.
I see TFP sells kits but I don't need the whole kit, I just need to be able to test chlorine levels above 10.
Where might I find this one component?
K-1515 is available on Amazon - but @proavia is right to inquire to make sure the rest of your kit is correct.
For instance, perhaps your CH or CYA is really high, then a SLAM makes less sense as you need to dump some water first.

These are the reagents you need
IMG_7552.jpeg
It looks like you might have everything but the dpd powder (r-0870)
Can you confirm what is in your brown bottle?
Also if yours are old you may just wanna get all new anyway or have xtra

Reactions: Brian PacNW
These are the reagents you need
View attachment 527373
It looks like you might have everything but the dpd powder (r-0870)
Can you confirm what is in your brown bottle?
Also if yours are old you may just wanna get all new anyway or have xtra
OP needs all the reagents shown in the pic you posted or a Taylor K-1515 kit (included R-0870 and R-0871) needed for FAS-DPD chlorine testing.

OP has a Taylor K-2005C kit with DPD reagents R-0001, R-0002 (brown bottle) and R-0003.
The R-0003 is for CC testing and is used in both the DPD and FAS-DPD tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How old are your reagents?

The K-1515 you linked to is the "A" kit - small reagent bottles.
The more expensive ones you referenced are the "C" size with larger quantity bottles.

Since you have R-0003 already (how much is left?), consider this one from TFTestkits
It contains the R-0870 and R-0871 reagents in larger quantities.

If your reagents are old, they also offer a K-2006 refill set

They also offer individual reagents if needed.

My reagents all expired a month and a half ago.
Your out of date reagents may or may not be providing accurate results.
Personally, I'd order new reagents.

If that's what you decide to do, add 5ppm chlorine daily (use PoolMath to calculate the dose) until your replacement reagents arrive.
Or just order the R-0870 and R-0871 reagents and SLAM Process away.

If you decide to wait on all new reagents, plan to replace them in the Spring - sometimes TFTestkits offers specials in March.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This will assist us in providing you help specific to your pool without needing to ask you each time.
See mine and others for important info to include.

Question. I looked up that kit and I see it for ~ $100 all over the place then I see this for $27
Is it the correct one? Curious why so inexpensive.

The amazon link is the correct one (fas/dpd test only) & in line with with price.
not sure what others you are looking at that are $100 but perhaps they are the full fas/dpd test kit with all the other reagents?
If so they should be k2006 (c) (the “c” has larger bottles)

Okay so I got this thing but the instructions may as well be not included they are completely designed for a target audience that doesn't require instructions.

Can somebody tell me what I need to do here because it literally starts off with giving me choices that I have no idea what mean.

20230908_195649.jpg20230908_195657.jpg

Attachments

• 20230908_195657.jpg
    20230908_195657.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230908_195649.jpg
    20230908_195649.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2
Fill water to 10ml line, add one heaping scoop of 870 powder. Using 871 liquid, counting drops as you swirl sample, count until the sample goes from pink to completely clear. The number of drops are each 0.5 - so if you used 4 drops to go to clear, your FC ppm is 2.

Next add 5 drops of 003 Liquid to same sample, if it turns pink, that indicates combined chloramines (CC). Every 871 liquid drop is 0.5 again, so if you use 2 drops, your FC is 2ppm (from above), and your CC is 1ppm.

Here's a YouTube video from Taylor. We recommend only using 10ml to save reagent, and one heaping scoop of powder does the trick.

I'm trying so hard....

Okay, so I bought 10 gallons of chlorinating liquid.
My CYA is right at 50 so per this chart, I need my chlorine to be 20 PPM

Screenshot_1.png

According to this calculation, I needed ~4 gallons to bring my 20,000 gallon pool from 0ppm to 20 PPM

Screenshot_2.png

I used the new test and it took 16 drops to go from bright pink to clear which when multiplied by 0.5 means the 4 gallons only brought it up to 8PPM

When I added the 5 drops of 003 liquid, it kinda went pink but not full on magenta like when I added the powder initially.
Screenshot_3.png

If I really need to maintain 20PPM, that is 5-6 more jugs of chlorine. Am I doing something wrong?

I wish I know more about this I have had the pool for 12 years for 10 of them I never touched it. I only had the little 2 sided gauge with 1 red and 1 yellow and that was it.
Add acid, Add salt once a quarter. I feel like for the last 2 years I am out there mucking with it every other day. It used to be effortless. (Sorry I am really frustrated and don't know what I am doing)

Is your liquid chlorine old?
Always Check the date codes when buying.
Sounds like it’s about a little under 1/2 the strength it should be so you’ll be needing to use more.
Are you certain of your pool volume?
Yes- 4 gallons of 10% should raise your fc by 20ppm
Use PoolMath for calculations- much easier than what you have going on there.
IMG_7596.png

Reactions: Brian PacNW
When I added the 4 drops of 003 liquid, it kinda went pink but not full on magenta like when I added the powder initially.
You’re supposed to add 5 drops of r0003
If it remains clear you have no cc’s
If it turns pink at all Then add r0871 drops until clear & each drop counts as 0.5 ppm - that’s your cc’s reading
No worries- you can do it again on the next test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.