Went to my local pool store to buy Liquid Chlorine and saw this....

Looked like a Rebel could be had for $300 bucks?
Be careful what you're looking at there. Rebels can be bought in a kit that includes the main hose, a leader hose, a flow gauge, a hose weight and the vac head (all necessary). That's usually about $600 or so (maybe more now). But you can also buy just the head itself, like a replacement part, and then use your original hoses and stuff. That'll be about $225-250. If you saw $300, that might have been a slightly overpriced version of just the head unit.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
One more random thought… could I put a MPV valve in on my dedicate 1.5” line and switch from suction to pressure depending on what I want to use? And could swap fitting in pool for an eye ball and use as a return if I ever wanted too?
Yes, and yes.

Robots & pressure side cleaners also collect all the debris internally instead of it going into your filter which means you don’t have to clean/backwash your filter as much. This is a big plus for many people with heavier debris.
This is an important factor worth understanding well. I have a very clean pool. My suction vac's debris collects in my main filter (I don't use any sort of pre filter or leaf catcher). The big stuff collects in my main pump's basket. For me, this is ideal. I clean that basket maybe once a week, and as often as not skip weeks. I clean my main filter once a year (and am lying, because I've skipped years on that, too). If I had a robot or pressure vac, I'd have to haul it out of the water, cold or warm, get wet, clean the little catch bag, and throw it back in. I can't imagine skipping weeks on that, because I'd never know what I caught that day/week. My pump's basket is much easier to clean, plus I can just look through its plastic cover to know if I even have to open it up or not. My suction vac is waaaaaaaay less effort than other vacs would be, because of my particular use case (a very clean pool).

Now if I had a pool full of silt or pollen or tons of leaves, or some other type of debris, that could be a very different story. And maybe a different type of vac would be less work.

The anticipated "debris load" is a consideration for the type of vac you want.

Last edited:
Be careful what you're looking at there. Rebels can be bought in a kit that includes the main hose, a leader hose, a flow gauge, a hose weight and the vac head (all necessary). That's usually about $600 or so (maybe more now). But you can also buy just the head itself, like a replacement part, and then use your original hoses and stuff. That'll be about $225-250. If you saw $300, that might have been a slightly overpriced version of just the head unit.
Good feedback! Thanks

This is an important factor worth understanding well. I have a very clean pool. My suction vac's debris collects in my main filter (I don't use any sort of pre filter or leaf catcher). The big stuff collects in my main pump's basket. For me, this is ideal. I clean that basket maybe once a week, and as often as not skip weeks. I clean my main filter once a year (and am lying, because I've skipped years on that, too). If I had a robot or pressure vac, I'd have to haul it out of the water, cold or warm, get wet, clean the little catch bag, and throw it back in. I can't imagine skipping weeks on that, because I'd never know what I caught that day/week. My pump's basket is much easier to clean, plus I can just look through to plastic cover to know if I even have to open it up or not. My suction vac is waaaaaaaay less effort than other vacs would be, because of my particular use case (a very clean pool).

Now if I had a pool full of silt or pollen or tons of leaves, or some other type of debris, that could be a very different story. And maybe a different type of vac would be less work.

The anticipated "debris load" is a consideration for the type of vac you want.
I anticipate having a clean pool also, in a new development with small trees. Largest tree in the area is my own oak which is 4 years old. Couple that with an auto cover we plan to have closer 100% of the time we’re not using it because of kids and dogs I bet we don’t have much to clean. Which is why I’m all the sudden seriously thinking a suction cleaner is a good call

Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.