Welcome back summer!!!

Syracuse76

Jun 3, 2019
Virginia Beach
New member here. I’m sure I’ll have questions down the road. Just got my new pool Installed. 1st one busted out the wall(it was old, was there when we moved in). So just going through trying to get levels up to par. I’m familiar with pool chemistry but by no means and expert lol. Some acronyms on here I’ve never seen. I like learning though so this ought to be fun. Hope everyone has a good day and I’m sure I’ll be around prodding peoples brains sooner or later for knowledge.

Reactions: tessv
HI and Welcome! I have just the link for you! TFPC for Beginners This should help you learn our "language" here at TFP. Here is the big brother link for the beginner link: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry - Trouble Free Pool

So how is your water looking? Any problems? Let us know and we can help you!

Kim:kim:
Thank you!!
No issues yet as it is a fresh fill and all. Just addded a bunch of chem. Over the past week stabilizer was the last thing the other day. Water looks good so far. Hoping for no issues this year and sit back and enjoy lol

Reactions: tessv
You know what I am going to do? I have a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It will helpful to a person new to TFP as well.
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

So what test kit did you use with your other pool? Pat shared an awesome link to some of the test kits out there.

I just have the Taylor/Leslie’s deluxe. Test for FC&TC/Ph/ TA. I have seen everyone talk about that Tc-100 I think it is( I might be a letter off), but plan on getting that.
So far my TA is good, my CYA is 70 everything else is decent except TC being very low. I added the stabilizer three days ago so I’m hoping the CYA falls a tad more. My FC is below 1, I just added another bag of shock now. Going to work tonight and teat again in the morning. Clean the filter good and see where I stand.

Last edited:
I guess I should add this was the 4th bag of shock I added. It still has yet to bring the FC or TC level up much. It seems the next day after I added shock it goes back down. So I’m kind of confused on that. I guess I could post my test results tomorrow after I get em. It sure if this much shock is needed for a fresh fill or not. As this would be my first brand new pool. One before just filled when opening never really had any issues.

You are pushing your CYA up with each bag of shock. You should be using liquid chlorine to add FC.

Can you share a pic of your test kit please? I want to see what all is in it.

The test kit I use is the TF-100. You were close! Look in my siggy below for the link.

You are pushing your CYA up with each bag of shock. You should be using liquid chlorine to add FC.

The test kit I use is the TF-100. You were close! Look in my siggy below for the link.

Taylor Technologies K-1004 DPD Deluxe Test Kit
That’s a link to what I have. I’m at work so obviously don’t have access to the kit. But that’s what I have at home. The shock I use shouldn’t be pushing up CYA from what I understand. It’s made from calcium hypochlorite. That doesn’t contain CYA. Unless I’m missing something.

Just bought the TF-100 Test kit as highly recommended on this site. Anything trick or tips i should know about as far as looking at numbers and colors on this kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My testing tips:
-FC-once it goes clear, call it. If you let it sit after going clear it might change back to pink....ignore this.

pH-White plate, I like my plastic one as it is very bright white, to hold up behind the pH test tube. This helps me match the colors better. I do this test inside under a bright light.

-CH-the water will flash the color. Keep going until it changes and stays changed.

-CYA-GLANCE to see the dot. If you LOOK for it you will see it. Pour the mixture to the first mark (100). GLANCE in. If you see the dot pour to the next mark and GLANCE in. Keep doing this until you don't see the dot at a GLANCE. You can and should redo the test with the same water. Just pour it back and forth as you learn this test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.