Weir door question

Quick question please, can a weir door be a source of a leak?

No, weir door is supposed to let water through.

You can have cracks around the skimmer and weir door that leak water out.

I've been chasing a leak for 6 weeks. I have tried every method possible with no luck. I'm about ready to fill it in with dirt! Ha

Have you followed the suggestions here ...

Yep, every method possible has been tried. Professional divers, electric leak detection, air pressure test on pipes, red dye everywhere, Replace gaskets several places. Only test that hasn't been done is a water pressure test on the pipes, and thats only because I cant find anybody that does it. I still think its skimmer related, but I cant find nothing. I'm losing over an inch a day when pool is full, but loss is less the closer it gets to the bottom of the skimmer and I have changed out both gaskets on the skimmer.

How many skimmers do you have? Main drain? Valves to turn off individual skimmers? Or use a plug to turn one off at a time?

I have one skimmer, main drains, three returns, and individual valves to operate each one. When doing the pressure test, we plugged the skimmer, both main drain holes, all three returns and tested at 22 psi and it held for an hour without losing any pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What type of valve do you have on your sand filter? MPV or slide?

i dont really have anything to add, but i am curious how it turns out. To isolate the skimmer, did you turn pump off, then add dye to the area to see if there was movement???

Yes, I have tried dye everywhere, including the skimmer with pump off.

Mark,

Fill the pool to the typical water level that it is leaking and then turn off pump for 24-48 hrs [first make sure you bring your FC to OCLT test levels]. Track your water loss levels and make a note of the times. [if real windy and hot, in full sun, the rate of loss will be accelerated] .

If the leaking stops at your skimmer, then it is more likely your skimmer; if the rate of loss is the same below your skimmer, then the leak is below the skimmer, but could be the skimmer too if the loss rate decreases after the skimmer.

I know this is very, very frustrating, but there is an answer. Hang in there and let's keep plugging away...

Mark,

Fill the pool to the typical water level that it is leaking and then turn off pump for 24-48 hrs [first make sure you bring your FC to OCLT test levels]. Track your water loss levels and make a note of the times. [if real windy and hot, in full sun, the rate of loss will be accelerated] .

If the leaking stops at your skimmer, then it is more likely your skimmer; if the rate of loss is the same below your skimmer, then the leak is below the skimmer, but could be the skimmer too if the loss rate decreases after the skimmer.

I know this is very, very frustrating, but there is an answer. Hang in there and let's keep plugging away...

I am still letting it fall. It is losing less water each 12 hours I mark the water level, the closer it gets to the bottom of the skimmer. You're right, it is VERY frustrating!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.