week and a half of shocking and no improvement

I am at a loss as to what's happening. My cya is at 40 and I have had chlorine levels as low as 17 to shock and up to 40+ and the green water hasn't changed at all. The first 5 days of shocking I had the pool covered but it's uncovered and still no change. Ph at 7.4 but I have to add acid every 3 days to keep it there.
I've only ever added cya, muric acid and chlorine to my pool.

Welcome to the forum!

How are you testing? Can you provide a full set of test results from your own water testing kit?

Take care.

Do not worry about your TA until you are done with your SLAM and your water is back to maintenance levels of FC. Then as you add acid to lower your pH from 7.8 down to 7.2 your TA will drop.

If the pH rise is problematic, there is a process in Pool School to lower your TA. We can discuss that after the SLAM.

Take care.

High TA has little effect on FC effectiveness. High pH has a slight effect.

Take care.

Is the water green and cloudy, or a beautiful clear emerald green?

If it's clear but green, it's probably copper from algaecides.

So let me ask again.... how are you testing? And are you brushing and vacuuming as well? Chlorine alone will not eradicate algae, as it grows a protective slimy biofilm that needs to be brushed off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.