Weak spa jets after salt cell conversion

Jul 28, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hey, long time lurker but don't post much here at TFP.

I have a 15,000 gallon pool that I just converted to salt in our new home. I have a pentair DE filter, 3 HP pentair intelliflo pump that is about 7 years old, and just installed an IC40 salt cell with power center. My PB put in the check valve needed to protect the heater. Everything is working great with the cell and the water is clean but the spa returns are weaker now than they were before and the jets are weaker. I just have one pump without a separate jet pump. I've attached some photos of the setup for reference. Ignore the janky rubber coupling on the pump suction side. Someone got lazy I guess in the past.

Any help? I want stronger jets are stronger spillover in pool mode. The spa spillover is only like 4 inches above the pool water level. I can add that photo if needed.

Oh, and the PSI on the filter is only like 10 when running at 2250 RPM and 16-17 when running at 2750 RPM. I think my equipment is like 20 ft away from the spa side of the pool.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 14
  • returns other angle.jpg
    returns other angle.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Returns with salt cell.jpg
    Returns with salt cell.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Spa pool cleaner valve.jpg
    Spa pool cleaner valve.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 16
What is/was the filter pressure (before/after changes) at full speed (3450 RPM) in jet mode?

More questions:

How many jets does the spa have?

Nothing changed on the spa jet side, correct?

The line that has the check valve and chlorinator is for the pool only, correct?

Last edited:
I seemed to have fixed it by increasing pump speed to 3150 when in spa mode only which brings psi up to 22ish when in the spa. The spa has 6 jets and we didn’t do any work on the spa side. The check valve is only for the pool return meaning the chlorinator only runs when in pool mode.
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.