We Have Water!! Several Day One Questions

May 13, 2018
Watertown, NY
As of today, I am the proud owner of a new pool full of water! We owned a pool at a previous house, but did not follow TFP methods. This time I’m doing things right from day one!

Our PB left last night after the first water delivery, and isn’t able to come turn the equipment on until tomorrow. The water is looking cloudy, but not too bad considering the bits of dirt that couldn’t be helped. I’m told it was spring water with chlorine added, and current test results are FC 6.4, pH 8.0, TA 130, CYA 0 (I think.. test was as clear as plain water), salt less than 200ppm. Pool will be a salt pool, but the SWG won’t be running and salt will not be added until tomorrow.

Questions:

1. Those levels are okay to jump in for a bit today, right? We’re obviously eager to swim, running equipment or not!

2. Is there any recommended way to get some CYA in there now? Can I, like, float around while squeezing it out of the sock? Or does it need to wait until tomorrow? Should I be worrying about the pH or TA yet, or should I wait on those, too?

3. The project finished a month later than we anticipated, so I now only have a week and a half to get things balanced to a point that I can leave them for a 2 week vacation that was planned by extended family long before the pool and can’t be changed. The SWG will be a big help there, I know, but any other tips? I could set up a camera or have someone check in on it and empty the skimmer, but no one will have pool experience or be willing to run tests.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 7B7138E6-1426-404D-942A-F7CBEBA21735.jpeg
    7B7138E6-1426-404D-942A-F7CBEBA21735.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 1
Hey! Congrats on the new pool!! Looks nice.
Go ahead and add the CYA.. smoosh it in the sock. Don't let it touch the sides or go unmixed. swim around it and let that help mix it up. Go ahead and swim, the FC is there but without a bunch of CYA in the pool it will depart over the day

Add FC daily until the day after the salt is added and entirely dissolved. Do not turn the SWG on until then. You'll want your FC level at your desired level and then let your SWG *maintain* that point.

Will anyone be checking in on the pool while you're gone?

Maddie :flower:

Oh good, that’s just what I was thinking. If my important job today is to lounge in the pool with CYA, I am up for it ?

The guy who mows our lawn is willing to check on the pool while he’s here, but has no pool experience and I would not ask him to run water tests.

He's suppose to be hanging into the middle of the pool and working that sock today while swimming!

But you make a good point Fast7.... he can take it out if it isn't all dissolved when he gets out and save it in a bucket till he returns :)

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.