We Have Lift Off

The filter top on my Clean and Clear 520 blew off today and went about 50 feet away and shattered. I was not home when it occurred, but my wife had texted me earlier and said the pool didn't come on. When it finally came on the top blew off. I did have an error message on my phone, but never looked at it. I changed the filters about 2 months ago and everything has been running fine since then. I know its hard to diagnose from 3 lines on a forum page, but has anyone ever heard of this before, and if so, what was/could be the cause?

Thanks

Dennis

They are a pressure vessel and they can fail.

Post a picture of the remains. Did the band fail or the vessel itself.

The CCP's are about 20" in diameter.

So the force was 315 sq in times 19 psi = 5985 lbs of force.

19 psi seems high for that filter at that rpm.

Do you have a picture of the system?

Is the top of the filter damaged where the clamp connects?

When you reassembled the filter after cleaning, how tight did you tighten the clamp?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use a third party photo hosting service or become a TFP supporter for server storage.

From a third party host site, Simply highlight the "IMG code", copy and paste it inside your posting.

I also have the 520, and on mine at lower rpm it runs around 16 pounds and high rpm runs around 20. This is with completely clean filters. Right now mine is running 23.5 psi on high rpm 30 days after filter cleaning.

20 is not high for that filter, depending on the pump you have. And it is certainly well within normal operating range of that equipment.
Even with new filters the system runs about 16 to 17 psi.

I also have the 520, and on mine at lower rpm it runs around 16 pounds and high rpm runs around 20. This is with completely clean filters. Right now mine is running 23.5 psi on high rpm 30 days after filter cleaning.

20 is not high for that filter, depending on the pump you have. And it is certainly well within normal operating range of that equipment.

Jason,

What do you consider "low" speed???

I have the same filter and pump. I run at 1200 RPM, most of the time. At that speed my filter pressure is about 1 or maybe 2 lbs...

I suspect it is just a typo, but I your IntelliFlo pump is a 3 HP pump, not 2 HP as listed in your signature.

What is the purpose of having a VS pump if you have to run it at 16 to 20 PSI filter pressure???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for reminding me to fix my signature, I keep forgetting to do that (but have done so now). Yes it is a 3HP VSF.

My lowest usable speed (35 gpm or about 1850 rpm) is clearly higher than yours. Mine is so high mainly because my spa overfill to my pool doesn't get enough flow without keeping it at a higher flow rate. During the winter it doesn't matter much and I can run lower, but in the summer when it's hot without even distribution I can actually get dry spots on the rock overflow due to the water evaporating which yields calcium deposits REALLY quickly. I will say that I have considered really cutting back on the pool returns, forcing most return through the spa so I could run lower and maintain adequate overspill. Haven't had the time to do that though (and am not 100% sure I want to reduce the mixing action in the pool that much).

At 35 GPM flow setting it still uses fairly low power (~384W @ 1850 RPM), so from an electrical savings standpoint going to 1200 rpm from 1850 rpm I, don't know that it really matters - it's only worth ~ 2 cent/hr... Even if I ran my pump 24/7 (which I don't) that would only be $15/mo difference. At my normal pump run time it would be worth ~$5/mo, but at the expense of significantly lower flow rates and thus water turnover and mixing... If I could even get my pump to run @ 1200 rpm without stalling with my pool hydraulics (which is doubtful looking at the charts below).

Data from my installation with clean filters @ 88 DegF:
Elec (kW) vs. GPM.png
GPM vs. RPM.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.