We have a hole in the ground! New O/B in Queen Creek, AZ

On the return side - I've seen an actuator on the pool return/spa return valve. The one pool I saw with automation had a separate pump for the spa jets.

In your configuration, I guess adding another actuator on the non-automated valve would be needed. Then you can set up a spillway circuit. And you'd need to set up a couple other circuits to turn on the spa jet valve.

Got a recent pic of the equipment pad showing the valves? (I'm too lazy to look thru 13 pages of this post) :laughblue:

I’ll have to look at my setup and see how I’d go about automating the spillway the way things are right now. I’ll definitely have to adjust pump speed for it and just need to look at the actuators and see which one needs to be where. As of now, there is one actuator controlling suction (pool or spa) and one controlling whether water goes to the spa jets or to another valve that selects flow between the pool and spa returns.

If I move the actuator from the jets vs returns location, the jets will have to be manually controlled and I can automate flow to either the pool or spa returns. What is the typical setup for the actuators?

Ah, I'm not a fan of spas plumbed that way. You will need another actuator if you want to keep things as is or use the spa jets for the spillway and close the spa return line

That's ok, Kim. I won't be making any progress on the airplane for a while anyway. Here are current pics of the equipment pad.

1nsJWWm.jpg

At9sPZb.jpg

KblzXOh.jpg

Quite the gaggle of plumbing on the return side. I think I can follow the plumbing on the return side - but can you label the pipes to make it easier?

Is that 1/2" valve for an aerator or the venturi skimmer? If for an aerator - did the plumber run a dead-headed line back to the pad for the venturi line of the venturi skimmer (just in case you want to hook it up later)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is for the aerator. Unfortunately, I’m dumb and didn’t realize that putting the skimmer above a bench would prevent me from using the Venturi. It would have come out pretty much right at bench level and just wouldn’t have worked. Oh well. I’m at work right now, but can get around to labeling the pipes tomorrow.

I'm seeing a problem. It looks like a rust spot in the pebble on one of the walls. I know there was no rebar tie wire sticking out here, so I'm not sure what might be causing this. Any advice? I'm wondering if a foreign material may have gotten into the plaster and is starting to rust. If not maybe a rebar tie was close enough to the surface of the shotcrete to cause this problem, but it showed no signs of rust for the months the pool was sitting out in the elements, including some major rain storms. Any thoughts?

2cKXFoM.jpg

The deed is done! I took a close look and it really looks like something foreign got into the plaster. There is a noticeable scratch/divot in the plaster and there either must be something in there or maybe enough metal came off of the trowels to cause the rust. Either way, it looks like something the plaster company will need to take care of and not something caused by another stage of the build. A couple photos of the very chilly swim. A quick check of the depths of benches and shallow end revealed that I'm really happy with the depths of everything. Other than the rust spot, things are going really well!

r8pIXwN.jpg

YJPOIEv.jpg

Quick update for the day. I’m holding the pH pretty steadily at 7.8 and am getting a pretty good feel for how much acid I have to add for a given pH to get it where I want it. I haven’t tested the TA for a couple of days, but probably will tomorrow, just to see how much it’s dropped. The plaster company is going to come out next week to deal with the rust spot. Still getting a little plaster dust from brushing, but it’s hard to say how much of that is new vs what I’ve already brushed off and is sitting on the bottom near the main drains. Having the robot clean things up should make it easier to tell what’s going on. It arrives tomorrow and I’m excited to let it do it’s thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdavis466

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.