WaterGuru issues - am I the only one?

Gigem

Jun 26, 2011
I've had my WaterGuru for a few years now. I have two main issues/concerns with it, and I wonder if I am the only one.

1. The WaterGuru app rarely if ever notifies me of issues. I honestly can't remember ever getting a notification from it. There is no way to manage what level of issues get turned into app notifications. I have no idea what the criteria is, but I've had pH be very high or very low, FC super high or zero, no flow, batteries dead, need a new cassette, etc. Never get a notification out of this thing. Notifications are turned on for the app and for my phone. I'm not a dummy. I've asked tech support about this several times, and they literally ignore me. I have a Samsung S10+ phone and the original "Gen 1" WaterGuru. So do you get good meaningful notifications from the app when there is a problem? Personally, I'd like to get a notification every time it does a test, regardless of the results of the test.

2. The unit has no ability to recover from a WiFi outage. If your WiFi even blinks for a second, you will have to pull the batteries out of the unit, delete your pool and start from scratch. I have done this countless times. No idea why their unit has no ability deal with WiFi issues, but this seems like a solvable problem. At least give me a notification (see #1 above) from the app that the unit hasn't check in. How do people deal with this if they are monitoring a pool at a second home or remote location? Network connectivity persistence should be a given.

So am I the only one with these issues? Maybe because I was an early adopter and got a machine before they got the kinks worked out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had my WaterGuru for a few years now. I have two main issues/concerns with it, and I wonder if I am the only one.
Same here.

1. The WaterGuru app rarely if ever notifies me of issues. I honestly can't remember ever getting a notification from it. There is no way to manage what level of issues get turned into app notifications. I have no idea what the criteria is, but I've had pH be very high or very low, FC super high or zero, no flow, batteries dead, need a new cassette, etc. Never get a notification out of this thing. Notifications are turned on for the app and for my phone. I'm not a dummy. I've asked tech support about this several times, and they literally ignore me. I have a Samsung S10+ phone and the original "Gen 1" WaterGuru. So do you get good meaningful notifications from the app when there is a problem? Personally, I'd like to get a notification every time it does a test, regardless of the results of the test.
I do get a daily push notification on iPhone... BUT only for high/low measurements. If it fails to report chemical levels for any reason (or if they are in "normal" range), I don't get a push notification :-(

2. The unit has no ability to recover from a WiFi outage. If your WiFi even blinks for a second, you will have to pull the batteries out of the unit, delete your pool and start from scratch. I have done this countless times. No idea why their unit has no ability deal with WiFi issues, but this seems like a solvable problem. At least give me a notification (see #1 above) from the app that the unit hasn't check in. How do people deal with this if they are monitoring a pool at a second home or remote location? Network connectivity persistence should be a given.
Curious what type of WiFi access point you're using. I've got 4 UniFi access points (3x UAP-AC-Lite and 1x original UAP), and yeah, the SENSE seems to need a reset whenever I (infrequently) push a firmware update to the access points.

I didn't get a chance to reset the SENSE after updating my access point firmware yesterday, and this time, I actually did get a notification about the device being completely offline: 2022-03-03 23.14.28.jpg

So am I the only one with these issues? Maybe because I was an early adopter and got a machine before they got the kinks worked out?
Despite these annoyances, it's still worth it for me. I can adjust my Stenner pump schedule via iAqualink and keep a balanced pool without actually needing to handle any chemicals for weeks at a time. I do hope they'll get these issues sorted soon, but not holding my breath; of the 3 separate times I emailed [email protected], I only got a response once, and that was for a series of false "No flow detected" notifications in Oct 2020 that they said should eventually clear on its own (and it did).

In case its helpful for anyone else, I resolved a notification issues on iOS by going into the iOS notifications settings, disabling notifications, and then re-enabling them. I think I restarted the app after each settings change.

PS: I have had good luck (no issues) with wifi w/ Ubiquiti UniFi gear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.