Waterfalls causing pool liner stain

MarkLoshelder

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2017
Pittsburgh,Pa
Good morning - we have two natural stone waterfalls feeding into the pool. The liner directly below the waterfalls (and at and above the waterline) has a brown(ish) stain, which appears to be from the rocks. Looking for methods to (1) safety clean and (2) prevent (if at all possible).

We are also also getting a water line ring around the pool. Last season I attempted to brush (no chemical/cleaners used), but it didn't work well.

Our build was completed in June of last year, so I am unsure if the run-off from the rocks will subside over time or if it will be perpetual.

I attempted to post pics (using my phone) but can't seem to get hem to attach.

Thank you in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2019.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to TFP. You may have hit you photo limit so you either have to donate and get more space or host at like photobucket and link.

I suspect it's calcium deposits. Can you post a complete water test?

And is it on the rocks also?

You might want to take a small amount of diluted muratic acid and spray on it? Does it bundle and wash away?

Fantastic looking pool by the way.

Mark,

I can't help with your stain problem, but just wanted to say what a beautiful pool and setting you have..

I'm jealous... as my backyard is about the size of a postage stamp... :p

How are you chlorinating your pool? And how are you testing your water?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hey All - I have begun to consume all of the information in this community, including pool chemistry. Wow! What a difference from what the pool contractor shared.

Pool contractor direction: use simple test strips as focus on chlorine and PH levels; keep it simple and don't add chemicals (especially on the direction from a water test at/from a local pool supply store); keep salt level around 3,400; if the pool liner feels slick on your feet then up the chlorine (adjust SWG); backwash filter when supply (jets) noticeably decreases pressure and add about two coffee cans of DE. Minimalist approach I guess.

No stableizer currently being used. Do I have to use this to effectively leverage Pool School?

I read about test kits, but would like suggestions for a newbie (I prefer to spend a little more for automation, ease of use, etc).

I am also planning to add the Pentair Intellichem. Price quote: $1,200 plus $50 to install. Worth the investment?

Pool is in full sun all day. Pittsburgh, Pa. Use of pool varies. See signature for details.

Hello. Thank you. Answers and pic:
1) I only use simple rear strips (per pool contractor). I just posted in the are forum area regarding testing.
2) SWG for chlorine. Contractor did SLAM the pool when he opened it earlier this month.
3) There doesn't appear to be anything in the rocks.
4) I donated but i am still reviewing a quota message when trying to attach pic. I will work in that and post one way or another.

Mod note: I merged your two threads as they are related. Kim TFP MOD

Mark that is one pretty pool! WOWER!

First things first. Lets get your started on a good test kit and accessorizes. See this link:

TFTestkits.net

This is THE test kit to have. I has more of the regents we use most often. You should also get a magic stirrer as seen here:

TFTestkits.net

I would also get some extra magic beans to go with it as well:

TFTestkits.net

You can also get some extra tubes so you don't have to worry about rinsing out between each test.

Once you get a test kit we can really start working on your water and problems. I sure want to see that water looking like a jewel. You just thing it is clear now! Wait until we get done with it!!!

I am going to leave you with some *light* reading:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This will help you start learning they whys and hows we do things. It is all science based as well as daily tested in thousands of pools.

:hug: I can't wait for you to posting more pics. Our IT guy will get you all set up in a bit!

Kim:kim:

What a great looking pool. I do not see calcium deposits,either. That said, I can't really see the liner changing color, either. Is it at the waterline?

(PS - please explain your lighting....it looks like gas torches or is that just my very old eyes.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks folks. I will wait for better lighting and take a better picture.

He ligjting by the rocks in the close up of the waterfall is from the sunlight. The majority of the ligjting in the earlier posted pictures are Volt low voltage lights. We do have to natural gas lights in the pillars. I have included a pic of those. We really like them (and i hooked those to the Pantair app to turn them in and off and to schedule on/off). We did LED ligjting under the granite and the copping of the swim up bar, but the quality of the product was poor and didn't last long (only a couple parts/segments are operating.
IMG_1834.jpg

I can't see the stains well enough to give you any advice either, but I will offer up a recent experience I had. I have a natural stone (moss rock?) waterfall over my gunite pool. I noticed shortly after it was built that a greenish line had developed below one of the rocks, probably 6 inches long or so. Rubbing it by hand had no effect on it, but searching on here and talking to my PB led me to try rubbing a vitamin C tablet on it. Amazingly, the vitamin C tablet took the stain off just as if I were erasing a pencil mark on a piece of paper. It was that quick. I'm guessing it must have been some sort of metal leeching out of the rock and onto the plaster. So far, the stain hasn't returned, but if it does I will know what to do. Good luck with your stain!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.