Waterco Multicyclone

bnsfengineer

May 11, 2021
So Ca
I would like to plumb a pre-filter like the Multicyclone however I have a DE filter and cant seem to find a diagram as to how I add a bypass when adding DE. Also can I place the Multicyclone after it runs through the pump just prior to entering the DE filter or will that lower the pressure going into the de filter? Or does it need to be placed on suction side prior to entering the pump? I'm asking because to plumb prior to entering the pump would require extensive plumbing along with moving the pump. Any help I would truly appreciate!

It would be best to plumb after the pump and prior to the DE filter. This gives the water sufficient velocity to work through the cyclone pre-filter. To set up a bypass, suggest a "tee" after the pump and place a 2 way valve on both ends of it. Route one line to the pre-filter and the second branch of the "tee" to connect to the plumbing after the pre-filter. Therefore you need another "tee" at that junction. You may also want to place a backpressure valve after the pre-filter but before that second "tee" to prevent any flow back into the prefilter. Not sure it will be an issue either way.
So when you want to add DE - close the valve to the prefilter and open the valve to the bypass which will flow directly to the DE filter. After that is complete, simply reverse that - close the bypass valve and open the valve to the prefilter. Note - ensure you do not leave both valves closed as you will deadhead your pump.

It would be best to plumb after the pump and prior to the DE filter. This gives the water sufficient velocity to work through the cyclone pre-filter. To set up a bypass, suggest a "tee" after the pump and place a 2 way valve on both ends of it. Route one line to the pre-filter and the second branch of the "tee" to connect to the plumbing after the pre-filter. Therefore you need another "tee" at that junction. You may also want to place a backpressure valve after the pre-filter but before that second "tee" to prevent any flow back into the prefilter. Not sure it will be an issue either way.
So when you want to add DE - close the valve to the prefilter and open the valve to the bypass which will flow directly to the DE filter. After that is complete, simply reverse that - close the bypass valve and open the valve to the prefilter. Note - ensure you do not leave both valves closed as you will deadhead your pump.
When you say back pressure valve do you mean something like a check valve so the water will not return to the pre filter? I think I follow you and thanks for the info... really appreciate!

I have a friend that recently had new pool installed and the builder installed a multi cyclone, he said the thing picks up so much debris he feels like cleaning his quad filter will need to be done only once a year.

The downside is that you will have to run your pump much faster than necessary to make it work..

I have Pentair CCP-520 and could go all year without cleaning my filter, but my OCD will not let me do that.. As it is, I only clean it twice a year. Once before the pool season and once after the pool season.

It is your pool and you should get what you want. I just see it as a solution to a problem that does not really exist. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect 10 cent hair nets over the skimmer baskets would do the same that the multicyclone will.

The downside is that you will have to run your pump much faster than necessary to make it work..

I have Pentair CCP-520 and could go all year without cleaning my filter, but my OCD will not let me do that.. As it is, I only clean it twice a year. Once before the pool season and once after the pool season.

It is your pool and you should get what you want. I just see it as a solution to a problem that does not really exist. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ahhh...I didn't think about that! ;(

I suspect 10 cent hair nets over the skimmer baskets would do the same that the multicyclone will.
That is exactly what I am doing now as the leaves are falling. I need to put a new one in just about every 2nd now. Some days its cold and windy and other it is hitting record highs in the upper 80's. Need to let trees do their thing all at once rather than spreading it over 3 months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.