Water won't clear up

I though You should have the cover open when slamming to have the sun burn off chloramines?

So should I be leaving the cover open during the day? I have been keeping it closed as much as possible. I have only seen a very slight improvement since Friday afternoon when I cleaned out main drains. I am again, dumbfounded and out of ideas on why this pool will not clear up.

So should I be leaving the cover open during the day? I have been keeping it closed as much as possible. I have only seen a very slight improvement since Friday afternoon when I cleaned out main drains. I am again, dumbfounded and out of ideas on why this pool will not clear up.
The sun needs access to the water for a small period each day to help remove the CCs. If you can expose the water for a couple hours that should suffice.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A few others have found that leaving the cover open makes it go faster if the cover has algae on it.

A few others have found that leaving the cover open makes it go faster if the cover has algae on it.
I am leaving it open longer today - it was open for quite a while last weekend as we did use it just a little. As clean as I have the top of the cover I would assume I would see some residue of algae when I closed it if it had any on it....but, I have been bamboozled a few times this season on other things so nothing surprises me at this point other than I can't get this thing cleared up.

I actually replaced all of the sand in the filter a few weeks ago so should be good there.
OK - at this point I would try adding some DE to the filter per the Pool School article to see if that speeds up cleaning up the cloudiness. Keep an eye on the pressure, backwash and add new DE when you go 25% over the clean PSI. It may be often when you start adding DE, but that's good and means the cloudiness should clean up.

Here’s the guide for that
Have you done an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test yet to give you an idea of where you stand?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here’s the guide for that
Have you done an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test yet to give you an idea of where you stand?
I did 2 weeks ago or so but, then I saw where until it clears up I don't need to worry about the OCLT.

OK - at this point I would try adding some DE to the filter per the Pool School article to see if that speeds up cleaning up the cloudiness. Keep an eye on the pressure, backwash and add new DE when you go 25% over the clean PSI. It may be often when you start adding DE, but that's good and means the cloudiness should clean up.
I have added DE two times prior to today but, it has been at least a week - am I ok to add after each backwash? I didn't see anything specific about that and wanted to check.

When you backwash the DE will be flushed out with whatever it catches. It basically acts as extra-fine filtration particles sitting on top of the sand bed - a dirty filter catches junk better until it either restricts flow or starts channeling the sand.

I did 2 weeks ago or so but, then I saw where until it clears up I don't need to worry about the OCLT.
You’re well into slam now so it may be useful to do an oclt to see where you stand.
There’s no sense doing with a swamp as it just wastes reagents.
Can you post some test results or link your
PoolMath logs? That can be very helpful in determining the reason a slam is taking a while.

I will read the log link later when I can. I just had something odd happen....I added about 1.5 cups DE at 1:30....here are my readings of FC today....

6am - 13ppm
9am - 17ppm
11am - 15ppm
1:30pm - 14ppm
3pm - 8.5 ppm

I added CL each time it was below SLAM of 16ppm against CYA of 40. Does DE eat up FC initially? I should also add that I have left the cover open all day. I will be sure to test my OCLT tonight as well.

Last edited:
Its easy to share - be sure you’re logged in with your tfp profile
Then just turn on sharing
IMG_6427.jpegIMG_6428.jpeg
You can see mine if you click my avatar pic

Thought I would share an update. I did turn on sharing and start logging my chlorine additions. Cool feature. I am slowly starting to see real progress. At 7pm on the 6th I drew a chalk line on the sidewalk for how far into deep end I could see the floor and from then until now my line has moved about 4 feet which is good. I really need to add more water again due to backwashing but, trying to hold off as that will impact my CYA which is already a bit low at 40. This one is definitely a marathon and not a sprint.

Great, I can see your logs. You should log your test results too.

Add the water, proper flow through the skimmers is more important than a little CYA. Water should be to the middle of the skimmer mouth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.