Water temp & SWG

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Have Hayward AQR15 SWG & AquaCal TropiCal heat pump. At random times, with no particular pattern, the temp reading on the Hayward will read about 6 or 7 degrees higher than the temp reading on the heat pump or the thermometer in the pool. Stays that way anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Is this of any significance? The heater is always set for 87 degrees.

Also, at random times when the temp reading on the Hayward is at that 6 or 7 degrees higher reading than the heat pump, the Average Salt Level LED reads HI. I'm guessing there is some sort of relationship between the two, but, again, it happens randomly. I'm at a loss and welcome any advice. Thanks very much.

Since the cell is after the heater, the temperature will read higher when the heater is on.

The heater readout is the inlet temperature.

At higher temperature, the cell produces more chlorine and uses more power.

The “Hi” salt warning goes off at 8 amps, which is a combination of salinity and water temperature.

To prevent a high salt warning, you would need to lower the salinity.

If you want to avoid a high salt warning, you will need to dilute the salinity until the amps stay below 8.0.

If you raise the flow rate a bit, the temperature rise will be reduced.

What is the flow rate?

What is the salinity?

Once you add the water, see if the amps stay below 8.0 when the heater is on.

If not, you would need to lower the salinity some more.

What pump do you have and what rpm do you run the motor?

As long as the amps stay below 8.0, you're good.

The lower the rpm, the more the temperature will rise after the heater while the heater is on.

Every degree of temperature rise might make about 0.1 amp difference.

I would just dilute as needed to keep the amps below 8.0.

Increasing the flow will only make a small difference in amperage.

If you're right at 8.0, you could bump up the rpm a little, but lowering the salinity is probably a better choice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.