Water Softeners For CH Control

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
I had both the kitchen and laundry set up for both gas and electric. It’s a lot cheaper to plan ahead when building as opposed to adding things later. I even had electrical outlets put in closets for charging things and WiFi routers.
I know that’s what kills me Chief. They built my home with gas everything, including a gas fireplace, but for another 1k they could have a gas stove. But noooooo, too much. :roll:
I hate electric stoves!! Grrrr

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Yeah, and if your home comes with gas heat and hot water, it’s another 1k to plumb for a gas stove. And yet people don’t do it. That’s what chaps by butt about my house!! :rant:
My brother just refreshed all his kitchen appliances, he ditched his electric range and went with a gas oven/range top. His gas company sent out a licensed plumber to do the work BUT they live in St Louis and have a basement. So running a new gas line branch to the kitchen is easy.

Agree with all - plan ahead, even if you don’t use it. Makes the home more sellable in my opinion.

OP
OP
cfherrman
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
Funny I was looking at all these extra costs you guys are commenting on with shock, it cost me maybe $50 or less to move my water heater, washer and dryer, and plumb in a softener, then I realized the key word, basement, not everyone has one.

(And I got 3 high quality 1" valves for nearly free)

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Yeah, it’s weird here in southern AZ...very different building styles. I’d much rather have a basement here where it’s dry and no chance of the water table rising up than back in NY where I grew up and you had to worry about your basement flooding every year or two....

mknauss

Mod Squad
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Only issue with a basement in the western US (intermountain area especially) is radon. We had a basement in our homes in Wyoming and Colorado. Once the radon issue started to be examined both had to have 'mitigation' systems installed for us to sell them. $$$$.

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson
I do miss having a basement. My current house “officially” has more square feet than my previous one. But then, that one had both a full basement, and a walk up attic that doesn’t count as “living space” on listings. Basements and attics not only give you tons of extra storage space, but great access for remodeling projects.

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
I hear ya Chief. Back east I had a raised ranch that had a split downstairs. Half was the family room, and the other half was the laundry room and 2nd bathroom. When I gutted my kitchen it was over the back half (laundry room) and it was so nice popping tiles (drop ceiling) to run electrical lines and change plumbing configurations.
I actually looked at a couple of houses when I moved to AZ that had basements, 20 degrees cooler down there then the main floor. Both needed to much updating for me to make them right.

OP
OP
cfherrman
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
When I redid the furnace last year I just put the filter on top of the furnace (furnace upstairs, downflow), cut a large hole in the floor where the water heater used to be and installed a open vent in the wall next to the filter. This is the only winter we have not had dry noses and sire throats due to dry air, used to get to 20% humidity inside , I think due to the furnace sucking in more humid air from the basement. I will eventually duct a return through the hole.

I also used concrete sealer on the inside of 2/3rd of our basement on the walls and floor and even though it's still just concrete walls and floor it doesn't smell like a basement, pretty impressed with the sealer. 1700 sq ft basement