Water return leaking at bonding wire penetration

Bozer4

Jul 11, 2019
Manteca ca
Hello everyone,
I have a small water leak in my return line where the bonding wire is penetrating the pvc return line (see pics below). Bonding wire is required per code but is there a better way to seal this penetration? It looks like installer drilled a hole and inserted wire with some pool putty and a hose clamp. When pump is off you can slightly hear air being sucked into the penetration, I've tried adding some pvc primer and pvc blue glue when the pump is off to get sucked in and seal the bonding wire. This works for a few days but then it begins to leak again. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Brett

Attachments

• bonding wire3.jpg
    bonding wire3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 42
  • bonding wire1.jpg
    bonding wire1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 38
  • bonding wire2.jpg
    bonding wire2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 38
I have no idea what was done with your water bond. NEC requires a water bond to have 9 sq in of metal contact with the water for a proper water bond. You don't get that with a wire stuck in a pipe.

Your connection does not look like any of these products...

I suggest you replace what you have with an approved water bond connection.

Last edited:
The pool was constructed last year and the city inspector did look at the way the pool was bonded and signed off on it, that doesn't mean it was done in the best way though. I'm thinking it should have had a special fitting like in the link you sent me. Maybe a fitting similar to the pics below.

Attachments

• 25810-pool-defender-compact-design.jpg
    25810-pool-defender-compact-design.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 25810-850-000-econ-union-with-bond-catalog.jpg
    25810-850-000-econ-union-with-bond-catalog.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 16
I have no idea what was done with your water bond. NEC requires a water bond to have 9 sq ft of metal contact with the water for a proper water bond. You don't get that with a wire stuck in a pipe.

Your connection does not look like any of these products...

I suggest you replace what you have with an approved water bond connection.
Nine square inches, not feet. Big difference there.

Use this stuff, it is amazing... I had a leak on a 2 inch pipe 6 years ago and it is still holding to the day :)

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, it's worth trying. 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.