Water question for 2nd year with Fiberglass pool and SWG. IRON?? Stinky water.........how to top off pool???

Wadeod

Jul 23, 2017
Granger, In
So last year was our first year with pool. I was very diligent about keeping all the numbers correct and pool looked great all year. Initial fill was from a truck. But to top it off after evaporation I just used a hose off the house with well water. The water had that definite rust smell and taste. I bout a filter for the end of the hose, but I don't think it did much. Halfway through the year, the pool had a slight musty smell like a wet towel you haven't washed in weeks is how it smelled when you exited the pool. Not very refreshing. I usually do all the chemicals myself, but leslie's has an iron test, so they tested it and said it didn't register any iron but that it didn't mean much because they only test for a certain iron, and maybe I have another?? Whatever the case, Im topping it off with rusty smelling and tasting water and was hoping the filter from the hose or the pool would filter it all out. I did notice at the end of the year the pool filter had turned brownish which I'm assuming was iron rust but don't really know. Someone the other day mentioned something about an iron bacteria that gets in pools which it could be that?

So my question is what do I do this year? My drinking water is filtered and tastes fine. Just my water coming out of the faucets outside are the rusty tasting and smelling water. Do I need to get a filter on the water from the house Im putting into the pool? A good filter in the house, not the cheap thing I spin on from amazon.com

Anyone else neighborhood prone to iron and rust on sidewalks from sprinklers? What do you do to top off the pool?

hoping for a perfect pool this year

If it has a rotten egg smell, that could be hydrogen sulfide. Typically, you can SLAM to oxidize the sulfide into sulfur or sulfate.

Iron needs a filter specifically for iron.

I have a water softener in the basement, maybe i could top it off with softened water? I also read to not be afraid to shock. Some were recommending weekly shocking which that aint happening.

I have a SWG with a super chlorinate function, but I read to not use it much as you can kill the cell quicker. Should I use liquid chlorine or the powder when I shock. If powder, is the packets they sell at walmart ok?

Using the water softener should help with the iron.

If you have hydrogen sulfide, it should go away with normal fc levels.

Typically, a fc/cya ratio of 7.5% is good. 10% to 15% can speed up the process of oxidizing the sulfide.

All of these conversations should begin with a complete set of water tests.......that gets the ball rolling. There is no real reason to chase iron around your pool when your other chemistry (chlorine) is completely out of bounds,

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll start you towards an understanding of the basic elements we test for.

You can deal with the iron but you are going to have to change your source water with that softener or various other methods. The filters you have tried don't work.

So, I suggest you get your other chemistry in line and then tackle your iron issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.