Water preparation for a new SWG

Kosfa

Feb 26, 2022
Peoria, Arizona
Hi all,

I have decided to convert my pool to saltwater, and plan to purchase a Circupool RJ-45+ from discountsaltpool.com using their current promotion in the next day or so. I have read and re-read many threads on the TFP forums regarding SWG, but before I actually start changing my water chemistry, I just want to make sure I actually heard what you are saying, and not just what I think you are saying.

First, let me describe my current setup. I have a 16300 gallon inground Pebble-Tec pool located in the Phoenix area. I have a single speed pump connected to a cartridge filter. I have a second single speed pump connected to an in-floor cleaning system which does not flow through the filter. I chlorinate with 12.5% bleach. I am currently losing and replenishing right around 3.0 ppm FC a day. My electric bill is based on on-peak usage and off-peak usage. Currently, the on-peak expensive period is 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM (although my electric company keeps promising to drop this to 4:00 – 7:00 Real Soon Now). I run my filter 10 hours a day. 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM, and then again 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM, because, symmetry.

My current chemistry is
FC 6.0​
CYA 50​
PH 7.7 (I let it get to 7.9, and then lower it to 7.5)​
TA 70​
CH 300​
Borate 50​
CSI -0.08​
NaCl ???​

I plan to raise my CYA to 70, and my salt to 3500. I understand that I can add salt and conditioner at the same time. My current plan is to finally open my new K-1766 test kit and measure the current salt content. I will then add 50% of the CYA and salt recommended to reach my new targets. I will also at this time raise my FC to 9.0 ppm. Run the filter for 48 hours continuously, monitoring Ph and TA several times a day. I will also keep an eye on the pool sock to make sure the conditioner is getting dissolved. After the 48 hours are up, I will re-test the CYA and NaCl and add additional chemicals as needed.

I ahve seen several people on the forums say they use generic salt water pellets like you would use in a water softener. If they are pure salt, that is what I intend to purchase.

My goal is to have the water ready so that when the SWG is installed, I can just turn it on. Realistically, I am probably looking at 3 weeks before I can install it, so I actually have plenty of time to work on the chemistry. If it would be better to address the salt first by itself and then the CYA, I can do that.

Once the SWG is installed and operational, I will probably add 2 hours to the daytime run cycle and remove 2 hours from the nighttime cycle.

Do I have a good plan of attack, or are there things I am missing? I appreciate any and all comments.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Oly
Sounds like you have a good plan. That way you can add a few bags of salt at a time before testing again.
Your CYA is too far out of range so can also bring it up slowly.

One thing to consider ( I know money doesn’t grow on trees ) is a variable speed pump. The new pumps will save you a lot.
I have the 2.7 hp Tristar and it’s only pulling around 300 watts. I could drop the rpm if I wanted and pull even less power

Sounds like you have a good plan. That way you can add a few bags of salt at a time before testing again.
Your CYA is too far out of range so can also bring it up slowly.

One thing to consider ( I know money doesn’t grow on trees ) is a variable speed pump. The new pumps will save you a lot.
I have the 2.7 hp Tristar and it’s only pulling around 300 watts. I could drop the rpm if I wanted and pull even less power
Mark, thanks for the reply. Yes, a VS pump is on the wish list, but just not financially possible this year, especially given how expensive SWG have gotten. When I do, hopefully,, someday get the VS pump, I will probably run it the entire off-peak time, and maybe even 24/7. I would love to have the skimmer working all the time.
Keith

Reactions: markayash
Your plan is close to perfect.....don't change a thing. You have a really good grasp of how this chemistry stuff all fits together.
I am currently losing and replenishing right around 3.0 ppm FC a day.
My bet is that will drop when you switch to SWG and CYA 70

Nice work! :):)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.