Water not turning blue from green.

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
I had an algae problem and been dumping liquid chlorine for the past few days. The water got better from how it was when I started, but still, has a green tint, normally after 3-4 bottles of chlorine, it turns blue. I brushed the walls to remove the algae, but regardless it stays the same color for the past couple days and kinda cloudy as well. Also, my pool pump pressure is low, showing around 3-4. It used to be around 8 for the past several years.

This January I cleaned the filter using TSP for the first time and ever since it shows 4 or below. I cleaned up all the debris from the skimmer and strainer basket, then the pressure bounces to 4-5 until next morning and it drops again. Currently, it's around 3 and raining since this morning.

This is my reading from an hour ago.

FC: 3 ppm
CC: 0.5 ppm
PH: 7.4 ppm
AL: 70 ppm
CH: 150 ppm
CYA: 40 ppm

I know I am slightly off on AL and CH. But does that cause the green tint or do I need to keep adding more chlorine until it turns blue? Should I hold on until the rain stops since that will throw off all the numbers? It's supposed to rain all day today.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 14
You need to follow the SLAM Process.
Raise your FC to 16 ppm and maintain that level by testing and adding liquid chlorine 3-4 times per day.
Read the article.
The TA and CH are immaterial right now.

Check your skimmer and pump baskets for debris. A low filter pressure implies you have a restriction on your suction side.

Turned out it was a sticky pressure valve. This morning it was reading around 2psi. I turned off the pump and turned it back on. It went up to 5 psi. Then I tapped the screen a few times and it immediately went up to 17 psi. I cleaned the cartridge filters and now it shows around 11 psi. Normally it used to show 8 psi after cleaning the filter. Seems like I might have to replace the gauge again. I bought the current one just 2 years ago. Wonder how long these gauges are supposed to last?:unsure:

Pressure valve

And you havent added any algecides or any copper containing products (usually marketed as Blue in the name of the product)?

Quality gauges if not exposed to freezing temperatures should last quite a while. Check TFTestkits.net, they carry quality gauges.

Your filter is plugging due to algae. Follow the SLAM Process

Quality gauges if not exposed to freezing temperatures should last quite a while. Check TFTestkits.net, they carry quality gauges.

Your filter is plugging due to algae. Follow the SLAM Process
We had below freezing temperatures few times last year. But the previous one I had, I didn't replace it for at least 4+ years ever since I bought the house. And I bought the same exact model 2 years ago. I might try to uninstall/clean and put it back before replacing.

@nityntiy, looks like you need to follow the SLAM process as Marty says. Need to get your FC up to 16 and hold it there until you pass OCLT. If you get it blue in the meantime but don’t follow the process you’ll be battling this all season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.