George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
As you can see from my signature I have a 17,000 gallon pool and I am in an area (Northern Calif) where the average summer temperature high averages 85. I have to add water weekly to prevent level from going below the skimmer level. I have to leave the water on for a least 20 minutes each time which I think is about 400 gallons. This seems like a lot and causing me to have to add some chemicals to rebalance pool chemistry. Is this normal? If so is there something you can add to the water to slow evaporation.

Hey George - don't know about adding any chemicals but when we installed a solar cover our evaporation dropped a lot. I've only added water once this season and that was when I got lazy about putting the solar cover back on the pool!
Our pool is used mainly on the weekends so, your milage may vary.

44,000 gal. IG, Hayward Maxflo vs, Tagelus T60 sand filter, Taylor test kit 2006C, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket (to keep the heat we get), a Pentair Easy Touch 4 & the Pentair IC60 swcg

During summer I add about 100 gallons a day in a 6000 gallon pool. It drops off the rest of the year but I always have evaporation. I have an auto fill.

If you cover the pool you will eliminate the majority of the evaporation. Just be sure you take the cover off a few times a week and let the sun shine on it to eliminate any CC's that have built up.

Not sure what chemicals you have to add due to evaporation. I have to add acid because of high pH and TA fill water, but my CYA and salt stay in the water.

Take care.

I have to leave the water on for a least 20 minutes each time which I think is about 400 gallons. This seems like a lot and causing me to have to add some chemicals to rebalance pool chemistry. Is this normal? If so is there something you can add to the water to slow evaporation.

Are you sure about your water rate out of the hose? 20gpm out of a faucet is pretty high.

Do a bucket test to see if the bucket looses the same amount of water. Stick a piece of masking take at the water level. Measure how much both drop in water level. Not actual gallons.

You shouldn't have to add any chemicals due to evap and refill. The only thing that leaves with evap is water. All the chems stay in the pool (except chlorine). Only splash out takes chemicals with it.

I use a solar cover to slow evap. It really helps a lot.

Thanks for the flies from all. When I add the water it drops my FC and I end up having to add a gallon of bleach to stay balanced.

Also for the chemical I was considering adding for evaporation loss it is called Solar Cover at Leslie's. It is a liquid you add to the water that is supposed to raise the pool temp and prevent water loss by creating a film on top of the pool surface.

Another wiz bang chemical from the leaders of misinformation. I see you have a Stenner for chlorine add so you should have relatively stable (within normal 3-4ppm loss a day) FC. When are you running your pump? Most recommend doing this during the day to keep the chlorine add during time of chlorine loss which will minimize the up/down of FC. A gallon of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC 4.7ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.