Water Level Dropping Faster Than Normal

May 18, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It seems like our water level is dropping faster than usual. We have a 20x40 Lazy L (33,000 gallons). We added a heater this Spring. So I am wondering if water is evaporating more since the pool temperature is being held at 90 degrees. Is that possible or should I be worrying about a slow leak?

If you didn't get a solar cover too, than the likely answer is yes it is evaporation. 70% of your heat loss comes from evaporation. If the pool is warmer than last year, it will average more loss overnight. Another factor in evaporation is square footage. The more surface area you have, the more you can lose to evaporation. With an 'L' pool you have crazy surface area.

Thanks. Yes, I have a lot of surface area. And the Lazy L makes a solar cover a pain to work with so I have never have used one. And because we have 8 grand kids, we use the pool pretty much daily so I don't want to have to put it on and take it off. So I guess I will need to live with the evaporation. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.