Water level Dropped overnight!

imolas54

Mar 15, 2019
Long Island
Hi I was wondering if you can help to figure out why the pool level dropped overnight to to below the skimmer. This weekend was the first weekend we used it, pool was at 88° and I did turn on and off the deck jets. This morning when i walked out the pump was running loudly and the water had dropped to way low to below the skimmer opening.

Also there is a valve out of pump into the filter and the 3rd I am assuming is to drywell that does not turn a full 90°. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I've attached what I believe is the pool configuration, please let me know if anything is incorrect and what I maybe doing wrong that is causing the pool to drain.

As a side note, the LED light had come undone somehow and was floating, i put it back into the opening and turn it clockwise and it locked in with the Hayward working upright (not sure if this had something to do with it).

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• Filter Pump Close-Up.jpg
    Filter Pump Close-Up.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Pool System.jpg
    Pool System.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 25
I would check that 3-way just before the filter. It was installed so you could divert water out of the pool quickly (to the drywell I guess), and it appears the valve may be open in that direction. Look closely at the handle because I can't tell from the pic, but see if it shows ON or OFF on that handle or the arrow end. It may be letting water out to the well right now.

If you had a solar cover on the pool, you would not see that kind of evaporation.

This time of year our pool can be in the mid-80's and we can occasionally have mid 60F night time temperatures. We cover our pool with a solar cover and see very little evaporation.

3" of water would leave a big wet spot somewhere.. Except for the valve to the drywell, none of the other valves are going to make your water disappear.

Either the drywell valve is leaking or you have a leak underground somewhere. If the leak was above ground you would see it.

The pipe going to the drywell needs to have a sight-glass or something where you can see any water going into the drywell.. A clear piece of pipe or ????

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just noticed there is a long depression in the liner directly below the light. I put some dye around the light but didn't see any obvious leaks. What a headache. Photos show the start and stop of the depression.

Attachments

• IMG_8763.jpg
    IMG_8763.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8762.jpg
    IMG_8762.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 21
Oh yeah, I see that. Certainly seems suspect. Is your skimmer near that area as well or no? With water dropping when the pump is off, there are other items to consider. Since you're accustomed to closing a pool, you may want to grab some winterizing plugs and isolate sections of your pool plumbing to try and isolate sections as well. Maybe rule-out plumbing versus something in/around the liner.

Then you have a leak and it has nothing to do with the drywell valve, as the pump was not running.

Normal troubleshooting would be to let the pool leak down until it stops. Usually at the bottom of the skimmer, or at the bottom of the light. If the water drops well past the light, then unless it is very obvious, someone needs to get wet.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was going though some construction photos from this past fall and notice the depression is where the main drain line was installed. Can the bottom drains leak that much water out? I would assume it would equalize at some point since since the pump equipment is higher up?

Attachments

• 2297B346-86A9-4333-877A-155428FCFBF8.jpeg
    2297B346-86A9-4333-877A-155428FCFBF8.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.