Water level continues to drop 2 inches below skimmers

Horanis

Nov 6, 2019
Sylvania, OH
Hello,
I am a new pool owner. Pool was built in 2004, and I moved in to the house two months ago.
We had a storm last week, and since then, the pool is loosing around 2 inches of water every day (I used a tape to measure). The water level is now below skimmers and jets and it continues to drop. I feel the water is leaking inside the liners because I noticed that there is now a space between liners and pool wall. I checked the pump I did not identify any leak or wet soil. I called leak detection company and they will come next Friday; however, they want normal water level which is not possible with continuous water loss and not ideal since the water will go to waste, and they want water temperature at 78 which what the heater is doing now (I assume it will take 24-48 hours in this cold weather).
If there is a liner crack, how can I fix this? Where is water going? Is it go underground? Will it affect my house structure?

Thank you.

Hi there Houranis, welcome to TFP. I'm sorry its under these circumstances though!

During the big storm did you get any large branches or debris in the pool that may have torn the liner?

When the water is lost, you say it loses two inches...but then what? Do you refill immediately? The reason I ask is, if you could avoid refilling it for a bit to see if it continues to drop or does it stop at the two inch loss level? If that is the case- look right around there for any holes or slices in the vinyl liner. If you can find it you can patch it and save a LOT of cash that way not using a pool leak detection crew.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would also encourage you to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. I say this because my next question would be ... do you have a filter (sand or DE) with a multiport valve? Is it possible the valve is leaking water to waste? A bad valve or spider gasket perhaps? That would be good to know.

I did not see any large branches or debris in the pool after the storm.
I have DE filter with multiple valves and I closed them all. I checked the area around the pump but no wet floor or soil. I have a hose for waster but no water is coming out of it. I have a drain in the floor which can be a source for the leak.
I tried to locate the crack in the liner but I could not. I did not refill any water yet and the loss is around 2 inches a day. I am not sure yet where water is going.

If there is no leak from the multiport valve to "WASTE", then it's possible you either developed a liner problem somewhere (seal or tear), or the leak could be from your drain - specifically the hydrostatic valve if installed. Since your system is still operational, I suppose there's a slim chance it could a plumbing line, but with no wet spots it's hard to know unless they run a scope. I suspect this is one time it's best left-up to the pros to find the problem area. But please let us know what they find. Every scenario is a bit different, so we all learning something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.