Have leak, water below drain level, service not due for a weak, how to maintain pool?

ilidan

Aug 10, 2023
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

new-ish pool owner ( came with the house ). the in-ground vinyl pool has a leak, leak/s. it is currently stopped at a level below the drain line. I am guessing it might have come from when I pulled out the umbrella from the pool in the last thunderstorm (blew over). I was able to find one leak and marine-caulk-seal it, but there is a leak somewhere else and my dye/diving skills can't find it.

I am hesitating to keep filling up the pool, concerned it might just be going to the foundation or somewhere else.

I've requested for service, but the earliest they can come is in 5 days. Any tips on how to maintain the pool till then?

i.e. just keep adding chlorine, maintain levels? is the pump ok to not run for that long? ( will i get other issues with the water stuck in the lines? ) should i start pumping from the pool into the skimmer basket or drain line?

thank you!

If you can't run the pump, consider just adding liquid chlorine and brushing for a few moments after addition.
Also a small sump pump can be dropped in to pool with a length of garden hose attached.

Really doesn't take a lot of movement to keep water clear. Shouldn't have any other issues while the leak is found and repaired.

Reactions: ilidan
If you can't run the pump, consider just adding liquid chlorine and brushing for a few moments after addition.
Also a small sump pump can be dropped in to pool with a length of garden hose attached.

Really doesn't take a lot of movement to keep water clear. Shouldn't have any other issues while the leak is found and repaired.
thanks! will do.
by the sump pump do you mean putting it in the pool and pumping to the skimmer baster or the drain line? (would that be ok with the filter pump? )

thaks again

thanks! will do.
by the sump pump do you mean putting it in the pool and pumping to the skimmer baster or the drain line? (would that be ok with the filter pump? )

thaks again
Put a pump in the bottom of the pool with its discharge hose to the top of the pool just to keep the chemicals circulating, no filter or attachment to the pool plumbing.

thanks! will do.

thaks again
Yep - you could put the pump on a step and the hose down into the floor of pool or vice versa.

Reactions: ilidan
Put a pump in the bottom of the pool with its discharge hose to the top of the pool just to keep the chemicals circulating, no filter or attachment to the pool plumbing.

Yep - you could put the pump on a step and the hose down into the floor of pool or vice versa.

aaah got it. didn't realize that. thanks everyone!!

the sump pump i have specifically says not to use for chlorinated water + dieelectric oil will damage pool. is that true?.... anyone have recommendations for a cheapo pump that will work?

Last edited:
Leak Detection guy came today -- good news is all pipes seem to be ok. He found two dozen small holes all over the pool with about half of them leaking and 2 big ones at the deep end.

Doing a bucket test and hoping thats it. Thanks all!

Reactions: reggiehammond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.