Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So took some water to get tested at my local pool supply store. Results are below:

Free Chlorine 7.19pmm (2 - 4ppm is suggested range)
Total Chlorine 7.73ppm (2-4ppm)
Combined Chlorine 0.54ppm (0 - 0.2ppm)
pH 7.9 (7.2 - 7.6)
Hardness 103ppm (150-275ppm)
Alkalinity w/stabilizer correction 83ppm (100-150ppm)
Cyanuric Acid 35ppm (50-100ppm)
Copper 0
Iron 0
Salt 3700ppm (2500-3500ppm)

In brackets are the suggested ranges.

They are suggesting:

- 3 cups / 1.4kg of Stabilizer
- 2 Cups of PH Down
- 1 Pouch of Shock N Shine

Next day:
- 4 kg of "buffer" (10 cups in total, 5 cups in morning, 5 in evening)

A few questions:

1. I have some shock pouches and muriatic acid at home, need to buy some baking soda (if I can find a bakery that sells it in bulk) and bleach. To translate the recommended stuff above into bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda etc. do I use the TFP app?

2. My Hayward system tells me the salt level is 3200ppm. Assuming the lab results are more accurate, is there a way to calibrate the Hayward system so that it reads 3700?

3. I'm going to be away until Tuesday, can this wait until then?

I don't have a TF100 test kit yet, hard to locate in Toronto Canada.

Thank you!

We hesitate to provide guidance based on pool store tests. So as long as you understand that all of this guidance could be wrong due to incorrect testing -----

You should add enough CYA powder to get to 70 ppm'

You should add enough muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.6 or just below

You do not need to add any baking soda. Your TA is fine.

Who know what potion 'Shock and Shine" is. Do not use that.

Use PoolMath for the volumes of CYA and MA to use.

Your salt numbers are fine. None of the systems are all that accurate. As long as the SWCG is creating chlorine, ignore it.

You would do yourself and your pool a favor to have your own proper test kit (see link). If it were me I would follow the advise given above then decide are you going to use TFPC methods or pool store? You cant do both! TFPC methods will have you maintaining a sparkling pool and the other will cost you much more and lead you right back here eventually...

Test Kits Compared

ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School Book

It will. You will need refills for the FAS-DPD test and CYA test very soon though.

I explained how to get a proper test kit in your other thread, post #17.

Had no idea pool store lab results could be incorrect.... Thought they'd be more accurate.

Finding kits in Canada doesn't apprsr to be easy. Will this one work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-K-2006-6-Fas-DPD-Complete-Kit/dp/B004BGF7TI/ref=sr_1_1/159-2649747-6399467?ie=UTF8&qid=1470999703&sr=8-1&keywords=taylor+k-2006

Yes, although if you can find the K-2006C it will give you more reagents. Although considering we are towards the end of this season that kit should last you into next year.

It will. You will need refills for the FAS-DPD test and CYA test very soon though.

I explained how to get a proper test kit in your other thread, post #17.

Yes.. Trying to avoid having to cross the border and come back even if it costs me a 100 more. Unfortunately time is not something I have a ton of these days!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, although if you can find the K-2006C it will give you more reagents. Although considering we are towards the end of this season that kit should last you into next year.

So this one.

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Technologies-TTK2006C-Service-Test/dp/B0002IXIJ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533418252&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=taylor+k-2006c&dpPl=1&dpID=51FAARtMo6L&ref=plSrch

- - - Updated - - -

I can have my parenta bring back a kit or two when they go in the winter.. So just looking for something for this summer. Was hoping the pool store lab tests would have sufficed.

Is there an article explaining why they are generally in accurate? I'm curious to learn.

Cyanuric Acid, aka CYA, aka Stabilizer, aka Conditioner.

Mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods will lead to confusion and the waste of money and time.

Though your pool store I am sure is quite good, the specificity of the test results you received should not be confused with accuracy. The equipment must be cleaned between each sample tested, calibrated, and maintained. We have found few pool store tests that come close to the accuracy and repeatability of pool owner testing.

Yes.. Trying to avoid having to cross the border and come back even if it costs me a 100 more. Unfortunately time is not something I have a ton of these days!

- - - Updated - - -

So this one.

https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-Techno...or+k-2006c&dpPl=1&dpID=51FAARtMo6L&ref=plSrch

- - - Updated - - -

I can have my parenta bring back a kit or two when they go in the winter.. So just looking for something for this summer. Was hoping the pool store lab tests would have sufficed.

Is there an article explaining why they are generally in accurate? I'm curious to learn.

Lack of employee training
poor testing technique
lack of maintenance and calibration of electronic instruments
old reagents

nobody will care for your pool like you will. Testing your water is not difficult. We have seen members take water to 3 different pool stores, and get back 3 distinctly different sets of results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay..back home after the long weekend. So I'm the mean time while I wait for my k-2006C to arrive in a few weeks I'm using a K-1004 kit the pool store had that I bought a week ago.

Alkalinity was 130ppm
pH read between 7.8 and 8.2 mark
Cl .. Not sure. Looks more purplish than red like the test container. Maybe too high to read?

Hmmm... Guess this kit has no way of testing CYA either. Assume I will have to rely on pool supply store until my k-2006C kit comes in.

Surprisingly, test strips are worse than the Pool Store! They are lovingly called Guess Strips here!

Just wait on your test kit.

So what have you done? Have you added any CYA since you started this thread?

What level of FC are you adding each day now? You tester can measure to 5 ppm FC correct?

Have added 900 grams of stabilizer, and about 2 liters or so of MA. Havent added any chlorine/bleach yet, as I wasn't sure I needed it, seemed to be too high for my tester to read?

So you were targeting 70 ppm CYA?

What does your tester test FC to?

- - - Updated - - -

Your SWCG needs to run at 100% setting for 13 hours per day to add 3 ppm FC to your pool.

I would start there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.