Water in spa light?

Undeadpickle

May 31, 2020
San Jose
I recently changed out the light bulb in our spa light. A few weeks later I noticed this darker area at the bottom of the light that was not there before. Does anyone know what this might be? I’m wondering if water got into it? Is it unsafe? When I replace the light I also replaced the gasket and follow the instructions on how to do so as well as tightened everything so not sure how water could’ve gotten in. Thoughts? Thx!

336DA894-65CB-409F-A6C8-4C7B5F65A6F6.jpeg

Without knowing anything else about your light or its voltage or your electrical system, I would suggest you treat this as the extreme hazard it might be (likely is). Don't get in the pool unless all breakers are off, and even then only to fix this. I wouldn't put my kids in there, even with the breakers off.

Reactions: Undeadpickle
Without knowing anything else about your light or its voltage or your electrical system, I would suggest you treat this as the extreme hazard it might be (likely is). Don't get in the pool unless all breakers are off, and even then only to fix this. I wouldn't put my kids in there, even with the breakers off.
We have the pool and spa lights on a fairly new breaker. So do you think water just got in there somehow?

Not sure how "fairly new" matters. If it can be flipped off, it can be inadvertently flipped back on. Yes, looks like your seal leaked. Or any number of other things could have happened. Doesn't matter. I'm just saying you've likely got the pool water exposed to an electrical circuit. And, no offense intended, you don't even seem to know that for sure or not. Which means it's not safe right now until you figure this out, is all I was sharing. Sounds like you might need someone licensed and qualified in pool electrical systems to have a look.

I guess what I was trying to articulate was that there is indeed a functioning GFCI breaker in the pool electrical box. I have switched it off. I plan to remove the light again and find out what is causing the leak. Thank you for the sound advice.

Reactions: Dirk
Have you turned the lights on since the new light install? If so did it trip the breaker? If not did you feel any current in the water? You could kill all power to pool, ALL power. Then pool light out of the fixture and first visually check to see if that is water in light ( rotate light ). If so put in a new gasket.

Yes, up until I noticed this a few weeks ago we had been using the pool and lights. No tripping breakers or feel of current. Everything worked as it should. We haven't used the pool since my discovery. Just today I turned on the lights and they worked fine. It looks like if that is water, it's sort of sitting below the bulb fixture so maybe it hasn't filled the housing enough to come into contact with the fixture?

If I'm understanding that correctly, I think the light would have to be on to cast a shadow against the inside of the glass...

Is the spa higher than the pool? Is the fixture higher than the pool water level? After making the light's circuit as electrically safe as possible, you could siphon the spa water into the main pool, below the level of the fixture, and make it even safer for you. Easier to work on, too. Then when done the pump would refill it (with the right valve settings). Shouldn't lose any water that way. Probably overkill, but it would be another layer of safety...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely pool water getting into the light. I’m assuming The water is getting through the gasket? When I installed the light I did install a brand new gasket. Maybe I just didn’t get it sealed tight enough? But I don’t know the screw was on pretty tight. What other points of failure could cause this? Should I be using any sort of Vaseline or lubricant around the gasket?

09AB9AA0-7DB7-4B58-8044-AB1312D9FA64.jpeg1613056F-1F54-4F3C-872C-E8062117FC75.jpeg

Not vaseline. Read this, especially about cleaning. Even a small amount of crud can cause a leak. Check the ring for cracks, splits or pinches. Be sure it's seated perfectly, no pinching. Or it could be your whole niche is at end-of-life, and you opening it just finished it off. How old is it?

Not vaseline. Read this, especially about cleaning. Even a small amount of crud can cause a leak. Check the ring for cracks, splits or pinches. Be sure it's seated perfectly, no pinching. Or it could be your whole niche is at end-of-life, and you opening it just finished it off. How old is it?

20 years old. What is the niche?

Sorry, I used the wrong term. My light setup is a little different. I only have two components. You have three. The niche is the housing in which the light sits. That's embedded in the concrete. I meant your light fixture. Instead of changing just the bulb, it might be time to change the whole light fixture. (With one that fits into your existing niche.)

Look at the area where the cord exits the housing, that’s also a common place for a leak. If that’s it, I’ve had luck with Goop or Shoe Goo. Basically same product, different names.

When you have the fixture all buttoned up, ready to reinstall, hold it under water looking carefully for signs of any bubbles of air coming out.

Look at the area where the cord exits the housing, that’s also a common place for a leak. If that’s it, I’ve had luck with Goop or Shoe Goo. Basically same product, different names.

When you have the fixture all buttoned up, ready to reinstall, hold it under water looking carefully for signs of any bubbles of air coming out.

Thank you all for the feedback. I took the light out, cleaned everything thoroughly and tightened the seal much tighter than before. When I dropped it in the water no bubbles so I think I got it right this time. The bummer is some of the led lights got damaged so only 75% of it lights up now. Though on the plus side no one was electrocuted!🤣😅

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.