Jun 16, 2013
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

Today we noticed that while the control panel indicated that the pumps were running, they weren’t so I started doing some investigating and found some interesting/scary stuff.

• The area around the pumps is wet, so water is coming from somewhere.
  • There is water dripping from PSB215 Jandy Blower
  • There is water dripping from an electrical j-box along with mold on the side, indicating it’s had water coming from it for a while.
  • Photos and video attached

I opened up the j-box, yep, full of water. I opened up the blower panel where the wiring connects and there is water where the wiring is.

Next step is to figure out what is really happening with the airblower to find out why water is coming from it, I suppose. I’ve read through the install docs to try to get some more info. We have a below grade installation. It calls for a “Hartford Loop” in the plumbing. I don’t know if we have one or not.

Can anyone shed some light on what I’m looking at/for in regards to the water in the wiring? Or any other info you may have to share?

Thanks!

IMG_6209.jpegIMG_6203.jpeg

The blower should have a check valve before it to prevent water from reaching it.

Do you have GFCI CBs for your pumps and heater?

The Jandy blower has a built in check diaphragm. Check it is installed and not damaged.

IMG_1095.png

You don’t have GFCI CBs for your pumps in the Aqualink Load Center. That should be installed for safety especially considering your water problems.

I don’t see what CB the blower is connected to.

Yes, that is a check valve in the blower line.

Examine that it is intact and operating properly. The spring often breaks and does not hold the flap closed.

img_6212-jpeg.536178

My guess is water is getting into your blower through the air pipe and then flowing down the electrical pipe into that wet junction box.

What are the lines running into the junction box?

img_6203-jpeg.536169

Reactions: DavidArmenB
This is all I can see if the diaphragm, assuming that’s what it is.

The blower is not attached in any way other than sitting on the pipe with no fasteners. I’m guessing that could cause a problem, if the blower moves up just a little bit, there’s no seal because it’s pretty loose. It was easy to take off.

The directions say lower until the stop tabs make contact with the PVC pipe. I don’t see tabs of any sort. I’m wondering if they did not install them

IMG_6213.jpeg

I would pull the blower off the pipe and run the spa and see if water comes out of the air pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The blower installation instructions show where a screw can be put to secure the blower.

if the blower is loose it would not cause water to come up the pipe.

You don’t have GFCI CBs for your pumps in the Aqualink Load Center. That should be installed for safety especially considering your water problems.

I don’t see what CB the blower is connected to.
I agree and am going to have my electrician switch to GFCI CBs.

All of the electric lines go into that junction box and from there out to the Jandy panel. To know exactly which breaker it's connected to I'd need to do some testing when I don't have water in the box. :hammer:

I'm pretty sure water will come out of the pipe connected to the blower. My pumps are below the pool and it's full of water now. Is that only supposed to have air in it?? Maybe the check valve is bad. The arrow points away from the blower.

Water should not be getting past that check valve.

Water should not be getting past that check valve.
We've found a major problem then. That pipe is full of water and overflows when I take off the airblower. Looking at the install docs it looks like the check valve should be installed above the air blower too. Mine is inline on that PVC pipe below the blower. Do I need to create a tall loop there and install a new one above the blower?

To add to that. The diagram says:
Hartford Loop - To install the blower below water level, or if the blower air line drops below the bottom of the spa, use the Hartford Loop plumbing configuration to prevent the air line from filling with water.

I have no idea if the PB put that loop in the plumbing.

The check valve and Hartford Loop need to be ABOVE the water level when the blower in below the water level.

Putting a tall loop above the blower will do nothing unless it gets above the water level.

IMG_1096.png

Also, a spring check valve is better for that application then a Jandy flap check valve.

It would be very difficult to get that loop above the water level at this point and given that info I’d be willing to make a large bet that they didn’t do it. I’ll swap that Jandy check valve with a spring loaded one and see if that works. If not, I’ll move on to Plan B (As soon as I come up with what Plan B will be).

Plan B may be to cap off the spa blower line and do without the blower until you renovate the spa and can get into the above ground pipe.

Plan B may be to cap off the spa blower line and do without the blower until you renovate the spa and can get into the above ground pipe.
Capping it off crossed my mind. The equipment is all in a closet underneath the pool, even a renovation wouldn’t give me the space to do that. To keep the blower if I have to put that loop in I’ll have to run it up out of that closet. The good news is, it is possible I just would want to build a wall to cover it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.