Water has green tint

Apr 8, 2014
Las Vegas
I hired a company to RO Filter my SWG pool. After the guy left my water slowly turned a shade of green and there is staining around the popups but only in the pool not the jacuzzi. I had my son dump stabilizer, and chlorine in to get the levels back to normal after the RO.
I did the RO thing due to my pool water TDS was 10,000. The calcium was falling out of solution and i was getting piles of calcium flakes in my pool. The RO guy had me dump almost half my water and refill to lower the TDS closer to 6000. Then before he started the RO he had to add Sodium Bysulfate to the water to kill the chlorine (chlorine will kill a RO unit).

Why is my water green. HELP
Pool Info;
11,000 gal
SWG
POOL AND jacuzzi circulate the same water.
Using tap water.

Attachments

• C5B6BF06-13B1-4F95-84A8-2C922ABA6ECE.jpeg
    C5B6BF06-13B1-4F95-84A8-2C922ABA6ECE.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to the forum!
The picture looks surprisingly like a normal fresh fill. Not sure what the RO part would do. I would not panic and treat normally following the FC/CYA Levels and keeping the pH in the 7's for a couple days.
Have you added salt yet? Some salt brands have been known to have iron in them. Iron would also turn the water that green color.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If the water was left with next to no chlorine levels this time of year, I suspect you are seeing an algae bloom begin. For that we use the SLAM Process. FYI - Try not to get too wrapped up in TDS numbers. That's pool store jargon and doesn't really matter much like you would think. We can discuss that or later. The RO probably seemed like a good idea to lower the CH level, we may have suggested another method.

For now, a full set of water test results would be best. Do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Also, has anything other than salt, chlorine, Sodium Bisulfate, or stabilizer been added to the water lately? Specifically any pool store chemicals?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If the water was left with next to no chlorine levels this time of year, I suspect you are seeing an algae bloom begin. For that we use the SLAM Process. FYI - Try not to get too wrapped up in TDS numbers. That's pool store jargon and doesn't really matter much like you would think. We can discuss that or later. The RO probably seemed like a good idea to lower the CH level, we may have suggested another method.

For now, a full set of water test results would be best. Do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Also, has anything other than salt, chlorine, Sodium Bisulfate, or stabilizer been added to the water lately? Specifically any pool store chemicals?
The only things I ever put in my pool are chlorine, acid and stabilizer.

FC 10
PH 7.6
Salt 2600
Just tested.

Welcome to the forum!
The picture looks surprisingly like a normal fresh fill. Not sure what the RO part would do. I would not panic and treat normally following the FC/CYA Levels and keeping the pH in the 7's for a couple days.
Have you added salt yet? Some salt brands have been known to have iron in them. Iron would also turn the water that green color.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Yes added salt.
Currently my reads are
FC 10
PH 7.6
Salt 2600

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. I had an extremely high CH so i figured i would conserve water and give RO a try.

Also those marks around the popups were not there yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 19
Get some Vitamin C tablets, put them in a thin sock, crush them up a bit, and put it on those stains around the pop ups.

Also those marks around the popups were not there yesterday.
Wow, those escalated quickly. I'm curious to see if the Vitamin C works. When you get a chance, please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. The sig follows each post and makes things much easier as we go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you will do the Vitamin C test, that may give you an answer. Just need to do it on one of the stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.