Water guru

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
I got the water guru a week ago and it consistently measured the FC well below my FAS-DPD. In general, when the app says that my FC is 3, my kit will show it to be 6-7. An email to CS resulted in a response that I need to take the sample at the same time and the same place (skimmer). Just to humor them, I did that and the result was off again by half. Then I called CS and was told to put a new cassette, which didn’t work either. It doesn’t seem that there is any way to adjust the readings to make them closer to my FAS-DPD.

I am trusting my TF-100 kit over the Guru, so back it goes, but was wondering if there is any reason why the FC readings would be so off?

my most recent test
FC 7/ guru 3
PH 7.6/guru 7.5
CH 270
TA 110
CYA 35
Borates 50

Can anybody even get in touch with their customer support? My unit died after 2 weeks of use. It took a few days to get a response from CS stating my unit was defective and would be replaced and I have not been able to contact them since May 11th. Are they still in business? I never get a call back via phone and no emails. Time for BBB I guess

Last year I was considering devices that measured FC/PH, like the PHIN and the water guru but it seems they all fail after a couple of months.

I used the WG for about 8 months (close to year, maybe?) but abandoned its use because the cartridges aren't very cheap and the lack of response for CS when contacted about some issues. If I recall, one of the members (maybe a mod?) here was a consultant of sorts with the company while in development. IMHO, TF-100 for the win.

Nothing to do with borates. The water guru uses an optical sensor to “read” the intensity of the pink color of the DPD indicator on the paper test strip it uses in its cartridge. DPD colorimetry is notoriously difficult to get right. The Taylor/TFT DPD-FAS titration is more accurate because you are not depending on your eye to see a particular shade of pink but rather looking for a sample to go from pink to clear. It’s that simple. As a wise man once said -

“Luke, trust your feelings ….”

Luke Skywalker GIF by Star Wars

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.