Water features affecting water temperature

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was told that running water features will lower the water temperature of the pool because the moving water causes more evaporation which naturally cools the water. I was wondering if this is actually true and how much it would affect the temps. I have an insane amount of plumbing(20 deck jets, 2 sheer descents, 5 fountain jets, and 2 bullfrog jetpaks) run directly under scalding hot concrete and when I turn on the water features, it dumps all that hot water into the pool. So I'm wondering if maybe I could actually heat the pool by setting a schedule for the water features to turn on for only 1 minute every 20 or 30 minutes just to clear the hot water out of the lines and maybe after a few days it might make a degree or two of difference. I might try it and compare the temps with my neighbor's pool of similar size.
Right now for regular circulation I am running the 5 fountains in the top step and a slight overflow from the spa.
447045a37e7b6dacfaa202ae564344c4.jpg

It does cool the water down especially if you run it a night.

Your idea to heat might be worth trying for sure! Make sure to keep good data points and share them so we can all learn from you!

BIG WATER FUN for sure!!

Kim:kim:

Yup. Shooting water in thin streams through the air will definitely cool things down.

I don't think a concrete solar heater will make much of a difference. Unless you have very thin piping right at the surface and the concrete is very dark.

Lovely setup though. Wish we could have pools like that up here.

Jay I am to new to this site to answer your questions but that pool looks like a kids paradise with all those water features. Outstanding sir...

Thank you, our kids are 2 and 3 and we plan to be here long enough to justify it.
As far very thin piping at the surface, yes, I have 20 individual 3/4" pipes that are surrounded in concrete for the sidewalk. The water gets extremely hot just sitting there not moving and when I turn it on, the water is actually scalding for about 20 seconds and is noticeably warmer for almost a minute so it definitely heats up, but it's a matter of whether it be effective.
9ccaf41c3a948cdc6b375da4781486e3.jpg

Wow. Nice pic of the build. That could heat it up. If you have a vs pump or could slow the flow of those jets so they don't shoot up so high and lose so much heat you could probably use it for solar heat. Best way to check is to get a good, sensitive thermometre and catch some of the water and see if it's warmer than the water in the intake.

I doubt the heat addition to the pool would be noticeable. Heating a little water many degrees is not very efficient. Imagine adding 5 gallons of boiling water to your pool every 30-60 minutes ... it just will not be enough to notice a difference in the pool temp.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there valves on each of those lines? Please post a picture of your equipment pad ... might take a few pictures given the size I imagine it to be :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, each deck jet has it's own line and separate valve. I eventually plan to install electric valves on each one so I can control them wirelessly and individually and set them to play to music.

and yes, I don't know if dumping a few gallons of hot water would make a difference but if it's being done over and over again, well I still don't know, but I feel it plausible and worth a try. Haha summer heat is here but the pool temp isn't moving fast enough. I might just have to start looking for a solar setup.

WOW! What an amazing array of pipes. It LOOKS like you're running a water park out there, LOL. I'm kinda jealous...except for the electric bill you must get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.