Water Feature and exposed pipes

Marehfleury

Nov 18, 2020
San diego
We are currently building an in ground pool with a 24”wall along the backside that has a 3ft wide waterfall. The plumbing (pvc pipe) for the water feature is located behind the 24” wall. The wall was built using rebar and gunite. I think it looks tacky that the plumbing was not run inside the wall. How common is this? I am in California so weather is not an issue. My pool builder says it’s normal and you won’t see because behind the wall where the plumbing is located will be a planter with plants and soil. In any case it bothers me because I know it’s there and exposed for the world to see.

Welcome to TFP.

Not odd at all and your PB is thinking more about maintenance then aesthetics. We see folks here whose wall around their water feature is wet due to a probable leak and their pipe is buried in the wall. There is no easy repair without breaking up the wall. Long term the maintenance of that water feature area will be easier and less cost the way your PB has done it.

You can decide which will bother you less. The pipe being outside the wall even though you will likely never even see it. Or the future expense and hassle when something needs to be repaired in that area.

PVC is mostly not impacted by UV, but it can become more brittle. Maybe get the pool builder to paint the PVC with a protective coat (or wrap it). In my area people have steel sewage pipes in their concrete foundations. 100% of them rust out which means jack hammering the foundation everywhere. I personally do not like my pipes in concrete. Even in my house I made my shower plumbing accessible.

A can of spray paint in "Go Away Green" will help. This is the color that Disney and The Augusta National Golf Club use to "hide" things in plain site. Google it.

Or whatever color the back of the wall is so it blends in to that.

I personally like the idea of the pipe being accessible considering the number of folks who have written TFP with leaking pipe issues.

Maddie

Reactions: Heavenlytunes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.